News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Starting and Maintaining a Website

Started by codenaught, June 18, 2009, 03:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codenaught

Originally posted to my blog here: http://geekyjack.blogspot.com/2009/06/starting-and-maintaining-website.html

Undoubtedly you've come across it before, a "dead" website. Not the one which leads to a 404 Not Found page but one that has been abandoned by its creator, long left to rut and be forgotten. Be it a blog, an informative website, some kind of fan appreciation website, or something else, many webmasters rush to develop on a particular concept that lacks depth and any sense of a significant purpose, to publish a website that is all but destined to fail.

For those of you who have an ambition to create a website or who have a new website out, I have written some pointers pertaining to what I believe are crucial points in producing and maintaining a website, particularly one that thrives itself behind a community of people.

Establishing a Base: Drawing out and delivering on an effective concept

So frequently forgotten, but essential in website development involves the ability to create something fresh and original. Webmasters frequently opt to create generic duplications of websites that are already out there on the world wide web. It can be a good thing to have more than one option to quench your thirst in a certain topic of interest; if sports is your ball game, you may dislike the popular sports website provided by ESPN, and really appreciate the fact that there is a sports website that caters better to your own personal taste, however, be careful. If you think you can create a website with the same topic of 1000s of other existing websites with the simple reason that you think you can do a better job, watch out. Think about whether you are being naive and unrealistic. If you really think you can do a better job than the existing competition, think long and hard about how you can bring improvements to the table. Having a fresh perspective to offer on a common topic can help you tremendously in garnering enough interest in your take on the topic.

You may not like spending time with planning the groundwork for your website, but in the end it could save you countless time and could ultimately make the difference between you creating a successfully developed website as opposed to one that you would eventually abandon.

Planning is crucial. Think about what you want to do and how you will be able to do it. Be realistic, and don't lie to yourself about what you can and cannot do. If you think you will be able to create a website from scratch with very minimal knowledge of web programming, you may come to a disappointing conclusion. There are plenty of available website creators, Content Management Systems (CMS for short) and forum software applications (often free!) that you can use at your disposal if you are not knowledgeable or don't have enough time to make your own system from scratch. And if you don't like the idea of using something others created, there is always the possibility of adapting to something custom in the future.

In planning, be sure to lay out every minute detail. It is better to do more planning than what is needed than to not do enough. Hopefully someday I will get around in making my own version of a fairly typical checklist for preparing a website.

Providing Content: Communicating ideas by producing media to entertain and inform

Unless your website is virtually exclusively about communication and interaction, you will likely find that a website that people come back to is going to be a website that frequently provides fresh and interesting quality content. Even a community oriented website should still focus on getting the users to contribute their own content in some form, such as by hosting their blogs. In the end it is usually very important to provide content for your website. This is where it is advantageous to have a website that covers a topic that you are very knowledgeable about. With vast knowledge on a topic, you will find it a lot easier to write and provide content frequently. Do not rely completely on others to provide all of the content. While it is likely going to be the case that you will find others to help you in providing content, this is likely not going to happen right away. You may have to be exclusively involved in producing content until your website reaches a larger audience. Chances are when people see you working hard at writing insightful content, these people will likely feel more willing to also come in and offer their own share of knowledge.

Keep in mind in that videos, audio and illustrations are becoming increasingly popular and effective alternative tools for providing content over just providing everyday writing. Spark up your visitors by providing interesting and relevant media whenever it is possible.

Time and Commitment: Showing dedication and being responsible

Another factor to consider when making a website regards the time factor. If scarce on time, you may want to rethink the idea of starting a new website. If you are determined to do it with little time, be sure to state clearly to your users what they should realistically expect from you. This will help prevent disappointing your viewers. If you can manage to publish a new article once every week on the same day, then you have the advantage of the users coming back each week expecting to at least find something new on that day even if that is all you can provide with your limited time.

Realize that our lives take completely unexpected turns that can potentially impact your ability to always be available for your site, so try to prepare for these instances. This is one of the times when having a staff of people helping you out will help out the most. If you won't be around and you know about your absence in advance and have formed a close relationship with many of your website visitors, be sure to give advance notice of your absence.

Marketing: Spreading the word and staying true to yourself

Marketing your website is tricky and I cannot speak from experience on exactly what you should do, however I will state that while it is desirable to have a "popular" website, try not to be too overwhelmed by the concept of popularity. Having your website viewed by many can require patience and will almost always never happen in a very short amount of time. Whatever you do, try to avoid "selling out." Always remain loyal to your core user base. The people who are fans of your website before it hits mainstream popularity are the people you should care about. If you find yourself evolving your website just to cater to more people, your site may end up getting more generic and you may end of becoming less and less interested and less passionate about it yourself.

Whatever you do, try to be careful and find the right balance between remaining loyal to your most loyal and dedicated users, as well as ways to open up and broaden the appeal of your website to a wider audience. How to do this is up to you and will depend on different situations. Seek the feedback of others, including the fans and toughest critics of your website. You might find that the passionate users of your website may be more than willing to help spread the word out. Even websites can rise in popularity through grassroots campaigning.

Think of third party outlets that could help spread the word out about yourself. Perhaps you could post videos to YouTube that you make that relate to something about your website. Stay current with the trends and crazes that erupt on the internet. For instance right now could prove to be a good time to have a Twitter account for your website where you can post useful information on.

Creating a Community: Bringing the concept behind a community to the world wide web

The idea behind a community oriented website is becoming more and more popular as time moves on. Social networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace focus on bringing people together in an online version of a community. For some this feels entirely natural but for others the idea involving such heavy online interaction is confusing. I believe it is a great idea to carry a community feeling to your website but at the same time try your best to make everyone feel welcome, including those who do not understand the point behind the whole social networking sensation on the internet. For instance, I believe it is a big mistake to require users to register to perform basic tasks on your website.

A great way to provide a community feeling to your website is to include a message board with your website. A message board is a place where people can post their thoughts and opinions in a given context of discussion. You may be familiar with message boards provided on many Facebook fan pages, however the type of message board you can include can be potentially a lot more complete and offer a lot more control than what Facebook provides. Some free message board options include SMF, phpBB, and MyBB. I of course hold a personal bias to SMF because I am a team member, but if you are interested in including a message board, I suggest you try out some different ones to find the one that best meet your tastes

Ability to Adapt: Making adjustments in times of rapidly changing preferences

Sometimes it takes a little bit of evolution to survive in the world of the internet. You may be familiar with the whole "Web 2.0" sensation going around the the internet right now. If not, you can always search Google to find out about it. It is debatable whether the whole trend of flashy, big buttons and curvy feeling provided by Web 2.0 is just a fade or something necessary to appeal to the masses. However there is always going to be the possibility that as time goes on, people are going to expect certain things out of your website. Don't be surprised that if your website lasts 5 years or maybe even less, the whole design of it which may seem perfectly fine and modern to your when you started, will end up seeming highly dated and dull after awhile.

The process of site redesigns are a very common practice on the internet. Some choose to make a bigger deal out of website updates than others do. Think along the lines of "My Website: Version 2.0!" for people who like to update in a dramatic fashion. Whether you want to casually release minor updates throughout time, or come out strong with flashy and big changes is up to you. But be sure to listen to user feedback. Try to avoid changing for the sake of change, but rather change and adapt to cater to the evolving internet standards and expectations. Don't run the risk of leaving your users surprised and unhappy about changes you make. Try to involve both your heavy users and casual newcomers to your site in the process of updating your sites functionality and appearance.

Analytics and The Hard Facts: Maintaining a website is not an easy task

The truth is maintaining a website can be hard thing to do. If you are paying for hosting, you may have to pay more and more as your site becomes more popular. If your site becomes a huge deal, you may even find yourself in the position of having to pay for your own servers to use as well as paying for a team of employees to keep your site running. The bigger of a deal your site becomes, the more crucial and valuable it will prove to be for you to invest your resources into it. Certainly not every huge website was started by a major corporation, sometimes even the really popular ones started as a hobby project by a high school or college students. While popularity in such vast proportions won't come to most, do prepare yourself for the future.

Make long and short term goals of where you want to see your site progress. No site is perfect, and each and every site out there could use improvements. Always seek feedback from your visitors and your staff. It is unwise to assume that you always know best.

Staying Secure: The Three U's: Update! Update! Update!

Any software that you use can be hacked. Security holes are found by hackers who show no mercy when it comes to respecting your website. This is why it is important to always use the most up to date software. When an update is released for any software that you use, be sure to update your install of that software as soon as you possibly can. Be sure to check back for security updates for each and every software you use. This can be done by visiting each website that provides the software you use, subscribing to a mailing list that notifies you of updates as well as subscribing to RSS feeds when available where news updates are posted for the software.

And Good Luck!

Whether you are looking to start something casual or hope to someday become an internet entrepreneur, I wish all of those who are thinking of building a website or web service the best of luck. What I provided is just some advice I have to offer about what to think about when in the process of building and maintaining a website. But do listen to the valuable suggestions provided by others across the internet. What I had to say was a fairly general outline which did not particularly offer detailed feedback on what exactly you should do.

As always questions and comments relating to this article can be asked in a comment left here or by sending an email to my email address at [email protected].

Special thanks goes to Jade Elizabeth a friend and colleague of mine, for her help in proofreading this piece before it was published.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Deaks

my dear husband I cant believe I read that all  :-*
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: