eBay BBCode Version 2.0.2

Started by Eclipse16V, July 07, 2009, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclipse16V

Link to the Mod

eBay BBCode Version 2.0.2
Free Version

Homepage: SID Giessen - Author: Eclipse16V - Support: Support Site - Mods: Mod List

Compatible
Compatible with the following versions:

• SMF 1.1.7
  • SMF 1.1.8
  • SMF 1.1.9
  • SMF 1.1.10
  • SMF 1.1.11
  • SMF 1.1.12
  • SMF 1.1.13
  • SMF 1.1.14
  • SMF 1.1.15
  • SMF 1.1.16
  • SMF 1.1.17
  • SMF 1.1.18
  • SMF 2.0 Beta 3 Public
  • SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public
  • SMF 2.0 Beta 4
  • SMF 2.0 RC1
  • SMF 2.0 RC1-1
  • SMF 2.0 RC1.2
  • SMF 2.0 RC2
  • SMF 2.0 RC3
  • SMF 2.0 RC4
  • SMF 2.0 RC5
  • SMF 2.0
  • SMF 2.0.1
  • SMF 2.0.2
  • SMF 2.0.3
  • SMF 2.0.4

Modification Information
A simple Mod who add a BBCode for eBay on your Board.
This eBay BBCode Version 2.0.2 is the FREE VERSION of the Mod. The PRO VERSION you can find on SID Giessen.

Languages supported
For this mod already following translations are included in this package:
English, German
All languages are also included in the UTF-8.
New translations are gratefully welcomed.

Changelog

Free Version                                                     Pro Version

Version 2.0.2 - 17.12.2012

• Now runs with SMF 2.0.3 and SMF 1.1.17

Version 2.0.1 - 28.09.2011

• Now runs with SMF 2.0 - 2.0.99
  • Now runs with SMF 1.1.7 - 1.1.99

Version 2.0 - 05.07.2011

• Now runs with SMF 2.0 RC4
  • Now runs with SMF 2.0 RC5
  • Now runs with SMF 2.0 Gold (Final Version)
  • Now runs with SMF 2.0 RC3
  • Now runs with SMF 1.1.7 - 1.1.14

Version 1.2 - 24.03.2010

• Now runs with SMF 2.0 RC3
  • Lang File

Version 1.1 - 09.07.2009

• Now runs with SMF 2.0 RC2
  • Spanish Language

Version 1.0 - 07.07.2009

• Released

Version 3.0.3 - 17.12.2012

• Now runs with SMF 2.0.3 and SMF 1.1.17

Version 3.0.2 - 13.01.2012

• Now runs with SMF 2.0.2 and SMF 1.1.16

Version 3.0.1 - 21.09.2011

• Now runs with SMF 2.0.1 and SMF 1.1.15

Version 3.0 - 13.06.2011

• Now runs with SMF 2.0 Gold (Final Version)
  • 28 new languages added

Version 2.1.3 - 11.03.2011

• Small edits

Version 2.1.2 - 16.02.2011

• Now runs with SMF 2.0 RC5

Version 2.1.1 - 11.02.2011

• Now runs with SMF 1.1.12

Version 2.1 - 08.02.2011

• Add a auction preview on the post

Version 2.0 - 28.12.2010

• First Paid Version
  • Now runs with SMF 2.0 RC4
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

minos

in spanish

// eBay BBCode MOD
$txt['ebay_auction'] = 'eBay Subasta';

ecmrf

I have installed this on RC 1.2 but it works backwards.

When pressing the Ebay button it gives this

[/ebay][ebay]

When it should be
[ebay][/ebay]

Can you fix please .......................

Regards
Doug

Eclipse16V

There is no Error in the Mod.

Attach here your Subs-Editor.php and Subs.php please.
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

Trevor Hale

Hi,

I Love this Mod and so do my users..  However, upgrading from 2.0 RC1.2 worked in my default theme, however My default Theme doesn't work 100% right in 2.0 RC2.

I am running the "Core Theme" in 2.0 RC2 which is the old Default SMF Theme.  This Mod however doesn't seem to like the Core theme.  Is there any way you could have a look to see if you can make it work with the 2.0 RC2 Core theme?  (NOT CURVE)

Thanks,

Trev

Trevor Hale

Hi,

Further to my little issue, The Ebay Mod Looked like it installed in the themes this time perfectly, but my existing  [ebay]xxxx[/ebay] links stayed the same and the editor does not have the BBC Button in the bar anymore.

Regardless, I tried to uninstall it, and I get all these errors..  (I don't want to muck anything up, so Hopefully someone can help)

Trev

c23_Mike

Hi there !

Had a wonderful effect, I am not sure what is going wrong.

At my site www.c23.at is SMF RC2 with simpleportal 2.3.1 installed, this portal has three columns. When i install this ebay BBC Mod, the right column is no longer displayed ... I have never seen an effect like this!
Deinstall reverse the effect, could you explain this?

Ok, this mod is not the reason for it ... now also without the mod the right pane is not displayed.
Sorry for bothering.
So long, Mike

http://www.c23.at
c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

GazOutEast

Sorry for being thick, but what is the point of this mod?

What does it do that simply copying and pasting an eBay URL to the auction wouldn't do?

Does it have an ePN affiliate system in the admin or something?
I have 20:20 vision - I can see anything bigger than 20" x 20"

hartiberlin

Hi,
can it automatically include the Ebay Partnernetwork link
to a Ebay Auction.

This is a link like:
rover.ebay...

Would be cool,
if all links inside a forum to Ebay auctions would be automatically
converted to Ebay Partnernetwork links...
Is this somehow possible or with another Mod ?

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

hartiberlin

No one did yet an affiliate link mod to convert Ebay auctions links to ebay affiliate links
to work with EbayPartnerNetwork to earn cash from Ebay ?

Eclipse16V

Yes it works

I wirte you a PM
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

GazOutEast

Eclipse - I think Stefan might be asking for something like the KB Linker Mod over at WordPress ....

Basically it works like this -

From an admin panel page, you insert a flat text string (manually type or copy and paste) with one link pair per line in the text file.
Each line has a format such as -
ebay.com->http://rover.ebay.com/affiliate-campaignID-link _blank
ebay.co.uk->http://rover.ebay.com/affiliate-campaignID-link _blank

and so on.

What it does is it intercepts each page load and tests for the text string before the -> and wraps it with the anchor tag that is shown after the ->

The KB Linker WordPress mod only does it for the first instance of the string on the page - if it's already within a linked string (e.g. a title) then tough, you don't get the affiliate link inserted.  Also, bad coding but, if the text string is within the title=" " or alt=" " of an image link, it will insert it there and mess up your image display.  It really needs rewritten to address these problems but I think the mod has been abandoned.

The beauty of the system is that for a fairly static content like a blog, it works great to provide affiliated text links (rather than banners) but it might stress the server on a busy forum, and rather than being dynamic, it would really need a method to permanently rewrite the post at posting save or edit, and cause the link to become a static insert.

Whether that would sit nicely with a bb button tool for all users is a matter of debate, but it could be workable as a way for members to choose exactly where the link appeared in their post.  Perhaps use a check to see if the bb button has been used for that post, and if not, then insert a default affiliate link on any text string (or first instance per post) that matches as per the KB Linker method?

Gaz

GazOutEast

Disappointing

Still no-one can tell me if this works with the eBay Partner Network - surely someone that's using it can answer that question?

A simple yes or no is all that's required

Please?

Eclipse16V

Sorry however my homepages are rejected again and again by the new eBay partner network and thus cannot not see which code of this I eBay partner network used.

translate by Babel Fish
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

hartiberlin

Same with me.
Does anyone sell Ebay Partner Network accounts ?

Well, Also I would need a PHP Script that scans my whole
forum and converts all old links to Ebay with the Rover link
of the Ebay Affiliate program from EPN.

Did anybody already program such a script ?

I hate it, when people just post interesting Ebay auctions
and insert their own affiliate code into the link in my forum
and thus stealing affiliate commisions...
What can one do about this ?

I just need such a script I could run several times per week to reset
the links to my own affiliate links.

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

GazOutEast

Eclipse and Stefan

if you go to the blog at ebaypartnernetwork.com and look for the posts around April 2008, you'll see there's one there that gives all the structure for the new ePN link structuring - they've also got a few other posts where they explain additional parameters to give extra customisable details, and posts that give you all the codes needed to identify each eBay site correctly (for mapping ccTLDs to ePN site IDs).

After gathering that info, I'd guess what's needed is a two-stage mod - the first part being a link converter that sits in the backend with your ePN campaign IDs etc and converts base URLs to ePN rover URLs (ebay.com to rover/blahblah etc), and a front end mod that reports (redirects) clicked or posted eBay links to the backend mod for translating into rover links.

It all sounds easy when you say it like that, but there would need to be a heck of a programming job to build it I'd guess .... yet, the four year old KB Linker plugin for WordPress still works seamlessly with the latest WP releases and still manages to replace every link it's set up to replace, every time a page loads.  The problem with porting it to SMF, would be (I reckon) the sheer number of links in signatures and sidebars, let alone posts, on every page

As for buying an ePN account - never heard of it happening, but wouldn't be surprised if it was possible, however remember what they did to AuctionAds/ShoppingAds (part of MediaWhizz) who had an above board and long standing business providing eBay affiliate links to third parties.

Gaz

hartiberlin

Well, if could also be a PHP script run via a cronjob once daily,
that scans the whole SMF database
and replaces all normal EBay links to my
Ebay Rover Affiliate link.

Did anybody write already such a script ?

Would also be okay, if it could be manually started
by me each day from my PC by just calling this PHP script
via my browser.

Many thanks.

P.S: In some blackhat forums I have seen some people have sold
EPN accounts, but I don´t know, if these would not get shut down
pretty fastly, when Ebay sees the traffic will come from a different domain,
than they were registered on... okay, there is a method to double
meta tag redirect to hide the referer, but I don´t know, how EPN handles this traffic,
where they can not see, where it is coming from and then maybe
shuts your bought EPN account also down ??

Eclipse16V

I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

GazOutEast

Hi Stefan

I think you're looking for a script that will " rewrite " the links (that is - edit the posts), rather than parse and redirect them without changing the original - is that correct?

My guess would be that such a mod could cause major problems to newbies and heavily used sites - in terms of the load on the server during the initial rewriting after install.  It would need some sort of "batch" staging, perhaps limiting it to X number of topics per run, or X number of posts in the database, and using scheduled tasks in the admin to have it run every X minutes.

What might be an overall lower burden on the server, and here we come back to extending the eBay bbCode mod, is to have a script that scans and updates the database (looking in the post content fields of the post content table) for [ url ] bbcode tags that contain eBay addresses.  When it finds one, it then calls the "translator" module, which in turn makes the url into a rover link with the correct site detail's codes etc, and writes that into the database.

An alternative, and more dynamic, solution that would allow for "repairing" or "updating" rover links as eBay tweak and twiddle with the ePN programs (including adding or deleting new territories - they just chopped India out of it for example), would be to have a special sitewide function using for example an [ ebayurl ] bbcode.  This then keeps the original url as typed by the user, but redirects the link to the translator for rewriting to a rover link "on the fly" - this method would allow updating or ammending ePN campaign codes etc as required (for example if a feature was built-in to have different campaign codes per forum category or per board and so on.  The database updater could then be much simpler and less heavy with the server - it would simply look for [ url ] tags that contaned any ebay address and rewrite the tags to be [ ebayurl ] tags - the translator then takes over the job of parsing and changing those on the fly when a user clicks them.

Also, by creating an [ ebayurl ] bbcode, it could be included in the users post writing page as a bb button with a search function, much like the Amazon bb buttons currently do - the user wraps a search phrase or work with the bbcode and the mod converts it to an affiliate link that takes the reader to a search results page.

I'm starting to think that maybe I'll have to have a go at writing this myself (or rather making a mash-up from other mods, then writing the glue to hold it all together) - I can see lots of possibilities for this too, not just for eBay Partner Network.  Unfortunately, I've got over half a dozen new sites to build on the job list, so it would be at least mid summer before I could even make a start on it.

Gaz

hartiberlin

As I said,
the best thing and easiest thing would be a PHP script, that scans
the whole database for Ebay links and modifies them to an afiliate code link
which could be set in the PHP script.

Did anybody write such a script yet ?

The same would be great for Amazon links.

I could call then the script just via my browser and it would
modify all the relevant postings.

This way also old postings could still be modified.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Stefan.

Advertisement: