Show Multiple Badges (AKA Stars)

Started by Thantos, April 04, 2005, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

Link to Mod

This mod allows you to display multiple badges for each user.  It also allows you to determine if a badge should be show if it's an additional group
on a per group basis.

DoW Kid Rock

can't seem to figure out how to add badges to a member.....must be not looking hard enough

just looked in membergroups.  maybe I misread this, but I was thinking that I could add my own badges on a member by member basis.  is that true or is just per membergroup?

Thantos

Its on a membergroup basis.  By default it won't show them if the group is secondary.  To make them visible you go to:
admin -> Edit membergroups -> modify -> Show the stars even if the group is a secondary group?:

NiXnAx

Could you make a option to show the Group name too, in addition to the star(s)

oh, and it wont show the Post based group stars if the user is in a static group

Thantos

Version 0.2:
  - Post groups will now be show if they are checked AND the user has a primary group
  - Added in a theme option that will display the additonal groups names with the badges

NiXnAx

I'm not sure if you got me correct, I were thinking about something like this:

Show the stars even if the group is a secondary group?:                   [ ]
Show the membergroup in posts and profile if it is a secondary group: [ ]

That way I can show witch group a user is in without needing to show the group badge. (when there is no use in showing it)

The usergroup name should be shown below the Primary Membergroup, and not above (or beside, as it is now) the badge. The post based images should be at the bottom of the badges, and they don't need the name on the group because this is an option (to hide it) in the template options.

Otherwise I love the idea of this mod, if it is a too much problem I can try do do it myself and post my idea to it

Thantos

So you want on a per group basis:
<Name>
<Primary Group Name>
<Secondary Group Names>
<Post Group Name>
<stars>
?

NiXnAx

Yea :) that's how I would like to have it

<Name>
<Primary Group Name>
<Secondary Group Names>
<Post Group Name>
<Primary Group Badge(star)>
<Secondary Group Badge(star)>
<stars>

Thantos

I can make another mod for the names as I'd prefer to keep this one about the badges only.

NiXnAx

Thantos

I pulled down version 0.2 and will be redoing it without the names.  If you currently have it I'm sorry but its just too dang ugly the way it is

megacelt

hmm, tried changing the mod files to apply to the file in my theme:

<file name="/public_html/smf/Themes/red/Modifications.english.php">
   <operation>
      <search position="before"><![CDATA[<?php
]]></search>
      <add><![CDATA[
$txt['membergroups_showAddBadge'] = "Show the stars even if the group is a secondary group?";
]]></add>
   </operation>
</file>

</modification>

but does not apparently work as this addition does not show in the package manager list of install actions. Suggestion?

Thantos

Does Modifications.english.php exist in that directory?

If you can't use the package manager to do it, just download the file add the line in and the reupload it

megacelt

Quite right, made an error on the path, and corrected it to:

<file name="/public_html/smf/Themes/red/languages/Modifications.english.php">
   <operation>
      <search position="before"><![CDATA[<?php
]]></search>
      <add><![CDATA[
$txt['membergroups_showAddBadge'] = "Show the stars even if the group is a secondary group?";
]]></add>
   </operation>
</file>

</modification>

However still did not work.  I guess I'll try the the manual method, I just try to avoid that due to upgrades and other changes making things easier to uninstall and re-install with package manager, without having to go back and search edit files by hand.  Particularly as I understand you will shortly be coming out with a new version of the mod.  By the way, this will be very helpful to my site, thanks for developing it.

skizip

i've just installed .1 since .2 is currently down, but I can't get it to work.  I installed through the packagae manager, and then checked my server to confirm that the date on the affected files had indeed changed.  I choose Modify Membergroup and the option just isn't there.  I am pretty new to the mod thing, so is there by chance just something I did wrong?  All I want to do is make it possible to see the post based stars, even though all my members are also assigned into additional groups to limit permissions to certain team only boards.

thanks

megacelt

Gave up and deleted some files I had in my themes directory and modified the default themes files to match. Now it's working just as I wanted in conjunction with your member names color mod.  They are both great mods, which did just in combination what I was hoping to acheive, thanks!

legion

HoTmetal

Hello. What version should I be runnig to use this mod? I'm running 1.03 with the  following mods installed :chat:donate:buddy list:
I've tried to download this mod & I get this error

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

Will this mod work with what I'm running?? Thanks in advance, rickC

Thantos

Weird, I wrote it for 1.0.3

Well the new version should be out late tonight as soon as I nail down this package problem.

HoTmetal

I added it manually & it worked fine. But trying to run it through the back end, I got that error

Advertisement: