Stop Forum Spam

Started by ITA003, December 10, 2008, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smartmouse

Will this mod be updated to be installed on SMF 2.1?

robeitor

Hi

Its possible to install it on SMF 2.0.17?

I´ve installed HTTPBL mod, and dont work  fineas stopforumspam mod.

Thanks!

Scooter Trash

Quote from: robeitor on April 08, 2020, 06:40:52 AM
Hi

Its possible to install it on SMF 2.0.17?

I´ve installed HTTPBL mod, and dont work  fineas stopforumspam mod.

Thanks!

There are some people in this thread who said that they're running it on 2.0.17.
I tried to install it on 2.0.17 and got a couple warnings, so I didn't install it.
HttpBL has blocked 180 bad guyz on my site in the past month. But some were still managing to get through. So I went into the SMF anti-spam settings and changed the visual verification image level to medium, and changed the verification questions from simple math questions to simple text questions related to the theme of my forums. I didn't get any new registrations for 3 days, so I was worried that I had inadvertently made it impossible for people to register. So I created a new account and it worked fine. It's been a week and a half now, and I've seen several attempting to register, but have had no new registrations from bad guys.

Kindred

1- yes, this can be installed in 2.0.17 -- but it needs a manual edit to do it.   That edit was described about 4-5 times in previous posts in this thread.

2- captcha is basically useless.    Use questions. (see the faq post in the user manual on spam)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

robeitor

Quote from: Kindred on April 08, 2020, 02:57:57 PM
1- yes, this can be installed in 2.0.17 -- but it needs a manual edit to do it.   That edit was described about 4-5 times in previous posts in this thread.

2- captcha is basically useless.    Use questions. (see the faq post in the user manual on spam)

Ok, I will search it , thanks

I´m using questions, i´ll see the manual.

otsian

Am I remembering how this mod works all wrong?

I had it install many versions back. I've reinstalled this in 2.0.17 and it's not showing what I thought it once did. I recall a magnifying glass beside the email and IP etc. in a members list that I could click to take me to a deeper dive on the stop forum spam website. I don't see any of that now. I have tested with a known bad email address and at signup it's giving a message back saying it's spam and to contact the email administrator. And I see that reported in the logs.

I'm just confused I guess. I remember seeing ways to manually check members and I'm not seeing those now. Did I confuse this with a different mod? or did this mod change? OR? :) is my install not correct?

Kindred

no, you recall correctly. That's what this mod does.

If it is not doing so, then the mod is not fully installed.

How did you upgrade? by patch, version to version or as a large (replace all the files) upgrade?

Have you installed a new theme since installing this mod?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

otsian

Each update was by the patch from all the way from 2.0.1. The only other mod currently installed is amazon search.

I used the forum interface to download the mod from it's link in the forum and run the install. There was one file that didn't pass the test, which I fixed. It then installed without an error.

Looking around, the stop spammer mod seems to have screen shots that look more like what I remember.  It's also uses the stop forum spam service. I suspect that was the one I have used in the past.

tjbalon

Anyway to simply deny the registration,  instead of putting them in the approval queue? (Have tons of spam recently).

Kindred

If you have tons of spam, depending on this is *NOT* the correct answer.

You need to improve the spam-filter BEFORE this point....    Get better questions.
Слaва
Украинi

lather

I have had Stop Forum Spam mod installed since I did a  full re-install of 2.0.15 after a failed server migration. It was previously installed before the migration by the previuous admin. With the new install of course all mods had to be re-installed and I had 20 spammers registered by the time I got Stop Forum Spam installed again. It stopped 95 perecent of spam registrations and filled the error log with about 100 attempted spam log in reports daily.

Recently I upgraded to 2.0.17 and I no longer get these spam registration failure error logs entries. Does this mean the mod is not working in 2.0.17?

sbartelski

I am trying to install on 2.0.18 but get an error. Not ready for that version yet?
Stefan Bartelski
Webmaster for the Cadillac LaSalle Discussion forums

Shades.

Quote from: sbartelski on March 23, 2021, 02:12:41 PM
I am trying to install on 2.0.18 but get an error. Not ready for that version yet?
What error? I have it installed on a fresh 2.0.18 no mods and no errors!
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

lather

I have not tried to re-install stop forum spam mod as it does not appear to be necessary. As Kindred mentioned the registration question seems to be working. I require admin approval and have added a couple of required profile fields and a simple anti spam question that any human can answer but not a bot. If a human spammer gets past the question if the required profiles fields are obviously bogus I reject.

Advertisement: