News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Admin Section Not Visable - Can I change to default theme via FTP?

Started by DeanLautermilch, July 16, 2009, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeanLautermilch

I installed a new theme and made a change to the default log image only and liked what I got. but then I noticed the admin section is not being displayed even though it shows I am logged in as the admin. Is there a way that I can make a change to a file via FTP to reset the forum?

http://thintheherd.info

Or is there a way to display the side bar as I do like the current them?

Storman™

QuoteIs there a way that I can make a change to a file via FTP to reset the forum?

The file you are thinking of is Settings.php However, that file does not contain the setting you require as these settings are within the database.

You would need to access your database with something like phpMyAdmin and then amend the appropriate value for the theme. However, I imagine this is partly dependent on how you set-up your forum in the first place with regard to themes.

What might be best is if you go into smf_members within phpMyAdmin, find the entry for yourself and then amend the value for ID_THEME to the default number (probably "0" ) .

This should at least show the default theme again so you can get back-in to the Admin section and make your changes.

Lautermilch

Thanks but that is a bit much for me.

What if I deleted the new theme via FTP. Would that not force it to use the default forum?

DeanLautermilch

Quote from: Lautermilch on July 16, 2009, 01:03:07 PM
Thanks but that is a bit much for me.

What if I deleted the new theme via FTP. Would that not force it to use the default forum?

After I took a long walk and hoped for an answer for some special file that I could make a slight change and bring everything back - I decided to try what you suggested. I found PhpMyadmin and that opened another can of worms with installs and  then recalled that it should be part of my Godaddy account which it was and the setting was easy to find as I have done SQL maintenance from Technet articles in the past.
So I saw my security setting for my admin account and promoted another account I have to that setting and changed the them for that account and was able to get it back. Thank you very much.

Now, there is one little thing I did not mention as in the world of IT it is nice to find the root cause of the error. This morning was working on some Wordpress sites with uploading themes and in a 'Wordpress state of mind' I used FTP to install this theme that gave me all the trouble. I then realized that I had to use the install in SMF so I did that. Could my first FTP set a file permission so that SMF could not fully install the theme that I used? It would be nice to know the root cause of the problem.

Norv

To use the default theme, you can append

?theme=1

to the URL of the forum.
I don't fully understand the rest, so I cannot answer about other issues, I'm afraid.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

DeanLautermilch

Finshed!

I got it fixed and have the logo size and place that I want - http://thintheherd.info/

Thanks again to Storman for the information.

Mimmi

Quote from: Norv on July 16, 2009, 02:53:03 PM
To use the default theme, you can append

?theme=1

to the URL of the forum.
I don't fully understand the rest, so I cannot answer about other issues, I'm afraid.

I'm just so happy I found this advice so I have to give you a big THANK YOU! :-)
Forum-junkie and still a newbie in the world of administrating php etc... Volunteers in reproductive rights. http://www.liv-laga.no/

Advertisement: