News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Install Permissions

Started by chubbsk34, April 12, 2005, 01:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chubbsk34

I think have have done this right. Can someone tell me just to make sure using IIS and win xp. I right clicked the folders and mage it writeable. is that all?

The following files need to be CHMOD'ed to 777.

attachments
Packages
Packages/installed.list
Packages/server.list
Smileys
Themes
agreement.txt
Settings.php
Settings_bak.php
install.php
Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php

Oldiesmann

You need to make sure everyone has the following permissions for those files/folders (this is going off of Windows XP folder permissions - might be different for IIS):

Read & Execute
Read
Write
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

chubbsk34

I know thats what I need, and I think I have done that but I need someone to walk me through it to make sure I did it right.

IchBin™

You'll know you did it right if everything installs like it should. There's no harm in trying.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

[Unknown]

No, don't set the permissions in IIS.  Many people do this, but it is very insecure.  Make sure "write" is not allowed in IIS.

Where you want it writable is in NTFS... here's some text I wrote elsewhere:

Go to the folder C:\WINDOWS\Temp and right click on it, then select Properties.  If you don't see a Security tab, close it and go to Tools -> Folder Options in the menu.  Go to the View tab, and uncheck the "Use simple file sharing" checkbox at the bottom of the list.  Then go to the Properties again.

On the Security tab, click "Add..." and type IUSR_COMPUTERNAME in the box (where COMPUTERNAME is your computer's name.)  Select "IUSR_COMPUTERNAME" in the list, and make sure it has Modify, Read, and Write permissions.  Do it again for the web folder (for IIS/PWS C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\, D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs for Apache.) too.

-[Unknown]

zeroand1

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 13, 2005, 08:56:06 PM
No, don't set the permissions in IIS.  Many people do this, but it is very insecure.  Make sure "write" is not allowed in IIS.

Where you want it writable is in NTFS... here's some text I wrote elsewhere:

Go to the folder C:\WINDOWS\Temp and right click on it, then select Properties.  If you don't see a Security tab, close it and go to Tools -> Folder Options in the menu.  Go to the View tab, and uncheck the "Use simple file sharing" checkbox at the bottom of the list.  Then go to the Properties again.

On the Security tab, click "Add..." and type IUSR_COMPUTERNAME in the box (where COMPUTERNAME is your computer's name.)  Select "IUSR_COMPUTERNAME" in the list, and make sure it has Modify, Read, and Write permissions.  Do it again for the web folder (for IIS/PWS C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\, D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs for Apache.) too.

-[Unknown]

I followed your steps, but I still get the error message asking to change permissions. It drives me CRAZY!!

I am running Windows XP

[Unknown]

I'm not sure what to telll you.  If you get the error message, the Internet Guest account doesn't have WRITE, DELETE, and MODIFY permissions on the files and folders listed.

-[Unknown]

AaronOptx

I've been having the same problems! I'm going nuts! ARCHIMEDES/IUSR_ARCHIMEDES has all the correct permissions on the c:\inetpub\wwwroot and c:\winnt\temp folders(modify, read&execute, list folder contents, read, write) i've restarted IIS to see if that worked. still nothing. recalculated web, still nothing. This error is going to make me snap.

Advertisement: