News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Zero Sized Reply

Started by wladymeer, August 26, 2009, 09:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wladymeer

All of sudden I get this page:

QuoteThe following error was encountered:
Zero Sized Reply

Squid did not receive any data for this request.

Everything was working fine until hour ago and I haven't made any changes recently and now I get this message on every single forum link I try to open  - any ideas what could go wrong or at least how to examine what went wrong?

Norv

Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask your host what they changed lately, and what impact their changes can have.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

wladymeer

Hmmm.. It's a little bit late 3 AM here - if you may know, could this type of error be result of some maintance mode from them then?

On the other side, just want to be sure, could this be result of some "hack attack" or similar?

Just to add, using SMF 2.0 RC1-1 version of the forum with default theme.

Antechinus

Possibly a hack but ask your host about maintenance or any other changes at their end first before jumping to the worst conclusions. :)
Also it would be best if you upgraded to RC1.2 as soon as your site is open again.

wladymeer

E-mail already sent to host - I accessed my server and am copying all /forum data to local drive at the moment - I had glance at it and it seems that all files are there and no new and strange files.

It also seems that not only /forum has this problem but whole link as my home page has same error as /forum links have.

Anyway, would this file copying be enough to do a proper backup of posts in case something bad happened and I need to do a fresh start or I should do something else?

Antechinus

Posts and other forum content are stored in the database, so you need a backup of that. Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?

wladymeer

Umm... not sure, will have to check it and don't have any free time at the moment to do it properly so I guess I will message back to this thread tomorrow as soon as I manage.

Thank you for your concerns and I hope everything will be fine... eventually :)

REDSEW

Hmm, did you let anyone be an admin, and you gave details to the person to access the ftp account and edit anything? Becuase a lot of people damage your website just for money...

wladymeer

Nope. I'm the only admin on the forum and there is only one guy (very long term friendship, actually he is one from the "host" company) have access to the forum. And even he doesn't have all permissions on my forum as Admin would have.

As I said before, nothing was odd or seemed that might get odd until I tried to login to the forum.

edit: it seems that I have backup before I added my last mod (it was nneonneo shoutbox) in my packages/backups forum - will that help to restore anything?

edit2: now when I recall it, I did get some errors "Couldn't connect to SMF database" recently from time to time and it seems that forum worked little bit slower than before. Maybe that's some hint.

Antechinus

The backup will be useful. Hang onto it. If you can get a more recent one that's always good too. I use a cron job to run automatic backups at 24 hour intervals. Handy if your host will allow it.

If it is temporary and irregular the "can't connect to database" thing is usually the host doing server maintenance. 

REDSEW

Backing up helps ;D, anyways, can I have a look at your website?

Antechinus

You could, if the site was currently online.:P http://www.gvosh.bb.rs/forum/

wladymeer

well sure thing it's http://www.gvosh.bb.rs/forum but I believe there is nothing to be seen at the moment :)

I'm looking at forum/packages/backups and file with most recent date is "2009-08-25_before_SB_1.tar.gz" but frankly, don't have any idea how to use it now when the forum is down :)

REDSEW

How many members and topics did you have?
If you havent had many, just collect the user information and fresh install a new smf and put the users back in, but not the topics. Try that ;D

wladymeer

37 and ~1800 posts :(

I have exam soon so I cannot put too much time for this now, hope there is something I can do instead of re-creating everything :)

Antechinus

Redsew: we don't even know what the problem is yet. If it is a hosting problem there is no point reinstalling anything. If it is not a hosting problem reinstallation is still the last option, not the first. I know you want to be helpful but don't go overboard, please.

wladymeer, I really do suggest waiting for a response from your host. That backup is only a couple of days old so should be fine if using it becomes necessary. At the moment we have no reason to suppose you will need to use it.

REDSEW

Hmm, what host is he using? I usually spider around websites and see if there are any updates on new hosts, good hosts, and bad hosts.
But I prefer SiteGround the best ;D.
Hope you get your website fixed wladymeer...

wladymeer

Oh yes, I didn't think to do any move before I check with my host what's going on. I'm using one my-country-related and haven't any problem... so far :D

REDSEW

Quote from: wladymeer on August 27, 2009, 12:42:20 AM
Oh yes, I didn't think to do any move before I check with my host what's going on. I'm using one my-country-related and haven't any problem... so far :D
one my-country-related? I never heard of that host...
Check your error log in your ftp where you smf is, and tell me if you see no error log or if you do see one, copy and paste the errors here so that we can track each error and see what cuased it from step by step   ;)

wladymeer

What I tried to say is that I don't think advertising would do any help here.

In last 7 days just got bunch of these in error log:

[27-Aug-2009 01:07:52] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  28 in /home/bbrs/public_html/gvosh.bb.rs/forum/Sources/Load.php(2017) : eval()'d code on line 180

I do know this error bumps everytime someone posts message in nneonneo's Shoutbox - wasn't sure should I delete it or not so I left it as it didn't make any trouble and wasn't visible to the others.

I also checked line 180 on Sources/Load.php and it seems it's some utf-8 line:

// UTF-8 in regular expressions is unsupported on PHP(win) versions < 4.2.3.
$utf8 = (empty($modSettings['global_character_set']) ? $txt['lang_character_set'] : $modSettings['global_character_set']) === 'UTF-8' && (strpos(strtolower(PHP_OS), 'win') === false || @version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '4.2.3') != -1);

Advertisement: