Get To Know The Team - Arantor

Started by Arantor, August 30, 2009, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Name: Pete "Arantor" Spicer
Quote: "Know thyself" and "To thine own self be true"
Position: Customizer

• Do you have pets? No, but I would like to be a cat's pet sometime. (They're not our pets, they're our master!)
  • What is your favorite color? Blue.
  • What kind of music do you like? Rock/metal mostly: Iron Maiden, Queen, Meat Loaf. Recently a lot of Abney Park.
  • What do you do on your free time besides spending time on SMF? I have free time other than at SMF? I take it you don't mean the IRC channel for SMF too? :P Other than being on SMF, I'm mostly enjoying the process of writing an RPG.
  • What are your goals/dreams in life? To be able to support myself and my family financially and emotionally purely on my own creations; not relying on a company to pay my wages, but to go self employed. The aforementioned RPG is part of that dream.
  • What got you involved in SMF? A project I started 3 years ago needed a discussion forum; initially we were using PunBB, but polls were not a core feature so I went searching for a forum package that was free and not riddled with security holes - and SMF was the best choice.
  • Who do you admire? Why? Andrew Plotkin, aka Zarf - for opening my eyes to the worlds beyond worlds. It isn't the tools we have that shape the world, it is how we use them.
  • Are you into sports?  If so which ones? I hate sport. I generally don't see the point of it.
  • What is your dream job? RPG designer/maintainer/programmer (see above)
  • What was your first screenname? The SpiceyOne, around 2000.
  • Do you have any piercings? No.
  • Are you a lefty/righty or ambidextrous? Sort of both. I write with my left hand, use a mouse with my right, type with both. *shrug*
  • Do you have any tattoo's?  If not do you wish/plan to get one? No, though I would kind of like something of dragons on my back.
  • Do you have any siblings?  If so, how many of each? One half sister - we're 11 years apart, but one day on the calendar.
  • What is your favorite website? www.simplemachines.org, airshipescapades.net (not publicly available yet but the dev stuff is to team members)
  • Do you play computer games?  If so, which ones? I do sometimes but mostly right now it's more for diversion in between playing my dev game or on here. When I do play, usually something like Bejeweled, or Bookworm Adventures. I do also play a fair amount of Scrabble/Lexulous on Facebook though, and have been prodded into trying FarmVille, but it's kinda limited.
  • Do you play video game consoles?  Which ones? I own none of these.
  • Are you married or planing to get married? It's on my to-do list, but right now in the 'long time away' category.

• If so do you have any kids? No, but would like to.
    • How many kids?
  • How many languages do you speak?  If so which ones? Multiple: PHP, HTML, CSS, Javascr... oh wait, you meant actual languages. Two: English and rubbish.
  • Do you drink? Not now. Used to a while ago.
  • Do you smoke? No.
  • Did you play hookey from class? In my final year at college, yes. Still passed with good grades because when I did turn up it sunk in.
  • Do you have a license? Open Source licenses FTW! :P I assume you mean driving - no, I don't drive. Too many nuts on the road already.

• Do you own a car? No, no plan to either.
    • Have you ever been stopped for speeding? N/A
  • Do you obtain a good amount of sleep daily? Not really. Am varying between 2-5 hours, with the last two days being two days with a total of 1 hour sleep in it.
  • How do you sleep? In a big bed with my partner.
  • Have you ever been on an airplane? A while ago.
  • Have you ever broken a bone? No, but I fractured my leg when very small.
  • Do you wear jewelry?  If so what jewelry do you wear? I have a dragon pendant necklace which I wear almost all the time. It's currently off being cleaned.
  • How do you dress? As casually as possible. Some days just sticking to dressing gown.
  • How many keys are on your keyring? 6.
  • What time do you go to bed?  What time do you wake up? Bed: any time between 2am and 6am. Awake: any time from 7am to 12pm. Curse of unemployment.
  • What's the freakiest thing you have done? Invented a new drink at college. We had a dispenser like you get in McDonalds or KFC for dispensing fizzy drinks. We discovered that if you start with 7-Up, then added Fanta Orange, then Coke in roughly equal measures, you get a drink that's drinkable and changes from black to orange to pale orange the more you drink.
  • Do you live alone? No
  • How many hours a day do you spend in the computer? As many as possible. Frequently 16+
  • How many hours a day do you spend in SMF? About the same some days. Depends how much dev I need to do for my game on any given day.
  • What is your favorite beverage - coffee, tea, soda, beer, other? Tea, milk, water, Pepsi in no particular order.
  • What do you hate? Hypocrisy, spiders, insects and bugs especially wasps.
  • What do you love? People working together for a common positive goal.
  • What is your religion? Pagan in basis, worshipping a female deity, with elements of animal spirituality and our friends the dragons :)
  • What is your hair color? Brown.
  • How tall are you? 5'7"
  • How much do you weigh? Too much.
  • What's the feature on SMF you can't live without?

• As an administrator? Package Manager
    • As an end user? Unread Replies

zorro18

Good to know about you Arantor! Cheers for your determination and dedication :)
SMF community Rocks !!

Costa

Hugo "Costa" Fernandes - PT SMF
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

sAce

first of all, congrats pal

and then, nice intro :)

:P

DannysForum

Arantor

Thought I'd better update this, actually...

Costa

Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

Arantor

Quote from: Costa on October 04, 2009, 06:41:19 PM
You are pink guy now? LOL :P

Technically I'm purple - pink is on Hiatus.

Costa

You cross the line to the purple world

IMO, you deserve, you are always making mods and tweaks

thank you :)

tyty1234

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

When did Arantor become a Customizer?
My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

Sabre™

Quote from: Arantor on August 30, 2009, 09:40:20 PM
Do you have pets? ..... cat ........ (They're not our pets, they're our master!)
Mate aint that the truth! lol
My Mrs cat(notice how I say it's hers) only knows its name when it's hungry!
Because I have an apartment in the city, I take her(the cat) for walks. Once I let her off the leash, Im forever chasing her through bushes and crawling under cars because she wont come to the call of her name.
But she'll come bolting from the other side of the world once you call her for dinner!! lol

What are your goals/dreams in life? To be able to support myself and my family financially and emotionally purely on my own creations; not relying on a company to pay my wages, but to go self employed.
Im in the process of accomplishing this also.
I had enough of being a slave, Im gonna be the man with the whip ;)

How many languages do you speak?  If so which ones? Multiple: PHP, HTML, CSS, Javascr... oh wait, you meant actual languages. Two: English and rubbish.
lol

What's the freakiest thing you have done? Invented a new drink at college. We had a dispenser like you get in McDonalds or KFC for dispensing fizzy drinks. We discovered that if you start with 7-Up, then added Fanta Orange, then Coke in roughly equal measures, you get a drink that's drinkable and changes from black to orange to pale orange the more you drink.
Thats pretty cool, I'm gonna have to try that and tell my Mrs I came up with it in a dream lol ;)

Just a little question, I'm not too sure if it has been answered, but what's the history with your handle?
At first I thought it must've been something to do with spiders(dunno why), but I've just googled it, and cannot find its definition.
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Arantor

Quote from: tyty1234 on October 04, 2009, 07:03:40 PM

Yesterday evening, my time.

Quote from: Sabre™ on October 04, 2009, 07:08:37 PM
Just a little question, I'm not too sure if it has been answered, but what's the history with your handle?
At first I thought it must've been something to do with spiders(dunno why), but I've just googled it, and cannot find its definition.

It's never been asked here. Long story short, I wrote a novel a few years ago with this metaphysical owl, who amongst many other things had a rant about the nature of humanity - "a ranter". I just tweaked the wording to make it sound less like it actually was, thus Arantor.

And for some reason I've kept that ever since, meaning I've kept it since 2001.

tyty1234

Quote from: Arantor on October 05, 2009, 06:39:41 AM
Quote from: tyty1234 on October 04, 2009, 07:03:40 PM

Yesterday evening, my time.

Well, at least you're still giving lots of support. :D

Quote from: Arantor on October 05, 2009, 06:39:41 AM
And for some reason I've kept that ever since, meaning I've kept it since 2001.

For me, I like to alter my username, depending on the theme of the site, or whatever comes to mind. I probably used "tyty1234" since 2006, however when I registered here on SMF, I was known as "tyty1993". I switched it to "tyty1234" since I altered it as well on other SMF sites, and "tyty1234" just sorta caught on more than "tyty1993".

Oh and in case you're wondering, my real name is Tyler (my friends used to call me "tyty" back in the day, so I used that) and when I'm using "1993", it's to reference the year I was born in. When I use "1234", well, it has no meaning, but it came to my mind when I first used that username. (it was back in the days when I used blogger as a "web site" if you know what I mean. ;)

Costa

tyty, this is not your thread! Go away!

* Costa whispers tyty :P

Dannii

Quote# Who do you admire? Why? Andrew Plotkin, aka Zarf - for opening my eyes to the worlds beyond worlds. It isn't the tools we have that shape the world, it is how we use them.
Do you play much interactive fiction? I'm the maintainer for the Parchment interpreter.

Everyone should play Shade by Zarf!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Arantor

Yes, I did see that, a most curious package... did you get anything from Muttonate as a base?

I don't play nearly as much IF as I used to, but I still consider Zarf's work as some of the best and most exemplary IF out there to be experienced and enjoyed; he knows how to write some of the most engaging IF ever seen.

Dannii

No, we're using Thomas Thurman's Gnusto VM instead. It is a JIT compiling interpreter, which lets it run much more computationally intense programs. It's still terribly slow though, so I have big plans for how to improve it :)
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Arantor

Sounds really interesting! I've seen Gnusto about, it was something I never got deep into investigation but had come across.

tyty1234

Quote from: Costa on October 05, 2009, 09:55:45 AM
tyty, this is not your thread! Go away!

* Costa whispers tyty :P
haha. my bad. :P
Sorry Arantor. :D

SAFAD

WOW Arni
Its Nice To Read About My Self When Am Bigger
Just Some Simple Mods And Its Me When i will be 25 Years Old after 10 years
Trully !
Man
Thank You
Best Regards
Sadaoui "SAFAD" Abderrahim - Lead Developer @ Electron Inc.

Advertisement: