Basic instructions for SMF 1.x -> 2.x upgrade

Started by peranders, August 31, 2009, 05:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peranders

I have desided to test the new SMF 2.0 but what I wonder about is the basic instructions for upgrading the forum using the same folder as before and the same database. Is there any such instruction?
/Per-Anders
I'm using SMF version 2.0.2

Arantor

The basic process is:

1. Back up everything, files and database.

2. Uninstall all mods, revert to default theme.

3. Download the Large Upgrade package to your computer, and unpack it there.

4. Upload everything from your computer to the server - overwriting files as you go.

5. Browse to your forum to finish the update.

Note that many of your mods may well need to be redownloaded to get 2.0 compatible versions, and your theme will not work properly in 2.0 so you'll need to see if that's been updated too.

peranders

I don't have any mods so this won't be a problem.

Does it mean that the database can be untouched? I don't have to do any import of it?

Any clue when 2.0 goes from RC to sharp?
/Per-Anders

Arantor

Part of the upgrade process will update your database - take a backup, sure, but you don't have to import anything as it'll just update it for you.

RC2 is due this summer, no timeline after that, but possibly an RC3 before going final. Personally I'd be guesstimating by the end of the year for RC3 - but that's my hunch, not an official line. Depends what RC2 throws up in actual use, really.

babjusi

Quote from: peranders on August 31, 2009, 05:49:00 AM
I have desided to test the new SMF 2.0 but what I wonder about is the basic instructions for upgrading the forum using the same folder as before and the same database. Is there any such instruction?

Why don''t you test the 2.0rc2 first without/before upgrading your live forum. i.e. install it at a test folder and see what is it like.

peranders

This is the first thing I would do. Thank you guys for an excellent software, especially the upgrade features, really nice.
/Per-Anders

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Let us know how it goes. We'll help you with any problems faced as such. ;)

Arantor

peranders

Haven't done it but I plan it soon though. I'll let you know how it went.
/Per-Anders

Arantor

OK, good to hear - please do post back if you have any problems.

peranders

I think it's time to do the upgrade since I had a hacker attack today. MannInBlackk has sent a PM to all members about virus. I Googled and saw that this user name exists in many forums.

Unfortunately all messages are deleted and I'm not sure if I would have seen the time when they were created but I'll suspect that there was a script involved somehow.

IP: 91.207.6.74   
Hostname: 74.6.207.91.unknown.steephost.net   
Email: [email protected]

Anyway I'm going to upgrade, maybe this weekend.
/Per-Anders

peranders

I have upgraded.

1 Upgraded according your instructions but got the template error AND I didn't read what to do about it.

2 Upgraded one more time. Many members and posts disappered. Read how to cure the template problem and cured that but still much info was lost.

3 Restored the old database but chose UTF8 at the import but it was something else, maybe latin1. The result was wrong characters for å ä ö as we use in Sweden BUT all my posts in Swedish disappered. Luckely they were only a few.

Right now it works perfect and all member are there and all non-swedish posts also. The main impression is a very pleasant surprise and especially the anti-spam features. Thanks a million for that. I have had trouble with spambots for a year now and I'll hope my questions at the registration will stop most of the spammers.

BTW: Where do I find the slogan text located in the upp right corner in the default template? I wrote there the first time but can't find it now.
/Per-Anders

peranders

I have used 2.0RC2 for while and I must say that involved people have done a very nice job. A pleasant upgrade! :)

The anti-spam feature with questions is a very nice feature since I have no spambot attacks now, zero!
/Per-Anders

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

peranders

/Per-Anders

live627

You can mark this topic as solved if it is. The button is on the bottom left

peranders

The new version 2 works like a charm. Very pleased with it and I have got rid of most spammers also.
/Per-Anders

Advertisement: