Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Link to Mod

More Genders
by Motoko-chan

About
-----
SMF has supported the selection of your gender since it was released, but only
recognized two genders: male and female.

However, not everyone uses these labels, and with gender reassignment, labels
have become a bit more complex.

This modification allows the selection of more genders. Currently, it supports
transgendered (both ways) and intersexual as additional options. If more are
brought to my attention, they will be added as well.

This mod and other information can be found at:
http://www.animeneko.net/projects/smf/

Features
--------
- Add support for more than two genders.

Known Issues
------------
- The Male/Female ratio stastic will be inaccurate due to the way SMF
  determines the genders for this stastic.

How to Use
----------
Additional genders to select will be avilable in the profile area.

License
-------
This code is licensed under the terms of the Simple Machines License. All
original code is copyright Michael Johnson.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Rohan_

hmmmm nice work ... keep going
Proud To Be An Indian

sAce

will this be added in standard releases as well?

青山 素子

Quote from: S-Ace on September 21, 2009, 02:39:49 AM
will this be added in standard releases as well?

To my knowledge, this functionality is not currently planned for a future release.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

C4G-TK

Great mod, Motoko-chan.  Much respect to you.

-img removed-

TwitchisMental

Sabre™

Interesting mod.
Cheers for the option :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

oistarbwoy

hi there... i think this mod is brilliant i am currently working on a project about sexual awareness that uses smf.

we are using the custom fields option to give people the option to choose thier sexuality and gender identity from the full list of known sexualities and gender identites. (The term gender donates to the way you were born gender identity is the gender you are. so you may want to consider changing the tag gender to gender identity)

this is a full list for you i hope this helps, ive included explanations as well in case you'd actually like to know  what they all mean as well as just make them available.

if you were to add them all i would be very happy to use your mod, its a great idea now all i need is a mod that adds a permanent sexuality feild then i will be a very happy lady. custom fields will have to do for now.

Transsexual.
An individual who has had gender reassignment surgery. A person may feel that they are born into the wrong gender. Modern scientific advances mean that a man trapped in a woman's body could have surgery to correct this gender mis-assignment. Transforming their sexual organs to those they perceive and know in themselves to be correct. Transsexuals live their lives as the gender they are and not the gender they were born into.

Transvestite.
Someone who dresses in the clothes usually worn by the opposite sex. Transvestites may be bisexual, heterosexual, or homosexual their sexuality is not relevent to their gender identity. Transvestites may or may not feel like they are the wrong sex. Primarilly it describes the desire to 'cross dress' and the sexual excitement or gratification they recieve from it.

Transman.
A transman or transguy (often referred to as FTM) is short for transsexual or transgender man - a person who was naturally born or physically assigned as female at birth, but who feels that this is not an accurate or complete description of themselves and consequently identifies as a male. Its advantage over transexual or transgendered is obviously that it gives clear signal as to which gender the person in question was wronly born, in this case female.

Transwoman.
A transwoman or transguy (often referred to as MTF) is short for transsexual or transgender man - a person who was naturally born or physically assigned as male at birth, but who feels that this is not an accurate or complete description of themselves and consequently identifies as a female. Its advantage over transexual or transgendered is obviously that it gives clear signal as to which gender the person in question was wronly born, in this case male.

Drag King.
Drag Queen.
Drag is a term applied to clothing and make-up worn on special occasions for performing or entertaining as a hostess, stage artist or at an event. This is in contrast to those who cross-dress for other reasons or are otherwise transgender. Drag can be theatrical, comedic, or grotesque, and female-identified drag has been considered a caricature of women by second-wave feminism. Within the genre of drag are gender illusionists who do try to pass as another gender. Drag has been regarded as an area where transgender people can find more acceptance and financial support than mainstream work environments. Generally the terms drag queen covers men doing female drag, drag king covers women doing male drag, and faux queen covers women doing female drag.

Bigender.
Bi-gender is a tendency to move between feminine and masculine gender-typed behaviour depending on context, expressing a distinctly female persona and a distinctly male persona. While an androgynous person retains the same gender-typed behaviour across all situations, the bigendered person consciously or unconsciously changes their gender-role behaviour from primarily masculine to primarily feminine, or vice versa.

Two Spirit.
Two-Spirit people are Native Americans who fulfil one of many mixed gender roles found traditionally among many Native Americans. These roles included wearing the clothing and performing the work of both male and female genders. The term "two-spirit" usually implies a masculine spirit and a feminine spirit living in the same body and was coined in 1990 by contemporary gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Native Americans to describe themselves and the traditional roles they are reclaiming.

flatcasttema.com

oistarbwoy

Lol .. very nice Mod

Powerbob

Thanks, great little mod. Looking forward to the update for RC2 8)

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

MultiformeIngegno

A really nice idea!! Hope to see it included in SMF! ;)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Xarcell

Interesting mod, I've been looking for something like this.

c-o-d-e

This is just what I needed. I am transgendered myself. I'd be classed as Bigender, however.. in more technical terms, this is called Androgyne.

Does this mod have the transgendered images, EG: Male points upwards, female points downwards. It would be wise, for this mod to create the images for it too.
Transman = Male
Transwoman = Female
FTM = Male
MTF = Female
Bigender/Androgynous = Male & Female
Not sure(Haven't figured out the true identity) = ? (A question mark for confused)

Transexuals, have already had the opperation, there for can go by the gender they wish to choose eg: Male, or Female.
Transvestites, are usually known as there born gender, unless turned to a transexual dressing up as the opposite sex, or transman/transwoman transvestite. Which means.. transvestite doesn't affect any gender they wish the be known as.
Drags, Similar to transvestite, there for the gender isn't changed because of Dragness.
Two-Spirit, Again rather similar to the above two, there for the gender isn't changed because of Two-Spiritness.

Here is a post .. for a mod wanted. This involves similar stuff, and involves orientation.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=350781.0

Note:
Motoko-Chan, can I have permission to edit this mod, and see if I can make it.. bit more wider. I'll upload it to you or whatever, and you can take the credits :)

Dream of Omnimaga

wow nice, I am curious if in the future you could have custom genders fields? So people can add whatever gender they want? This shouldn't be that much of a problem for me, though, if I install this, because I will probably just edit the code and change it myself

青山 素子

Quote from: c-o-d-e on November 28, 2009, 09:36:35 PM
Does this mod have the transgendered images, EG: Male points upwards, female points downwards. It would be wise, for this mod to create the images for it too.

There doesn't seem to be universal symbols for transgender status, but I used the one I found most, which is a blue combined symbol (male, female, and both) on top of a downward-pointed rounded pink equilateral triangle.

Bigender/Androgynous = Male & Female
Not sure(Haven't figured out the true identity) = ? (A question mark for confused)

I would suggest both be blank. This modification is for extending the physical gender, it doesn't enter into the psychological realm, which is a lot more blurred. Androgyny is one of those psychological points.

Motoko-Chan, can I have permission to edit this mod, and see if I can make it.. bit more wider. I'll upload it to you or whatever, and you can take the credits :)

If you want to extend it for your own use, feel free. Please don't redistribute, however.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 27, 2009, 11:28:07 PM
wow nice, I am curious if in the future you could have custom genders fields? So people can add whatever gender they want? This shouldn't be that much of a problem for me, though, if I install this, because I will probably just edit the code and change it myself

If you want fill-in-the-blank, I suggest using a custom profile field and not this modification. I simply extend a defined list. Making it a user-filled item would mean replacing the built-in system or changing it significantly, and I simply don't have the time to build something like that when a passable solution exists.
Motoko-chan

paulosf

Hi

I'm new with SMF and I've tried to install this mod but it is not working.

I'm using SMF 1.1.11 Default theme - Core

Anyway, as i've read this mod allows some more genders but what i was looking for was for a mod that allows this genders:
male
female
couple (male-female)
couple (female-female)
couple (male-male)

Is this possible to do?

Thanks

青山 素子

You'll need to provide more details before I can help you. What exactly is not working?

Also, what do you mean by "couple"?
Motoko-chan

paulosf

This is the message that appears:

"The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted."

Couple is a pair of person.
For example a husband and his wife are an heterosexual couple while two females are a lesbian couple.

青山 素子

Quote from: paulosf on January 27, 2010, 10:17:14 AM
"The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted."

Hmmm. Might be a problem with PHP on your server. As a last resort, you could try extracting the contents to a folder under the Packages directory.

Quote from: paulosf on January 27, 2010, 10:17:14 AM
Couple is a pair of person.
For example a husband and his wife are an heterosexual couple while two females are a lesbian couple.

This modification is only for individual persons, not groups. There are no group statuses included.
Motoko-chan

paulosf

I'll try that...

Thanks for your attention

Advertisement: