News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

google only wap2 links

Started by sombra, September 23, 2009, 08:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannii

If you find any bugs or other problems with Pretty URLs, please do report them to me, or on the issue tracker.

And if you stop using it, you should install the Reverter package.

The best solution for wap2 issues is to check if the useragent is a known mobile spider, and if not, add the noindex meta. There was discussion about adding that to the core SMF code, but I can't remember if it was added or not.

The reason why search engines like wap pages is because they're simple and clean. If Google is indexing more wap pages than normal pages, install a clean and semantic theme.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

sombra

well i have disable pretty url but i woud like mor opinions about this topic i dont know if disable it will bring me problems my page has been online for 8 months now

what its this

QuoteAnd if you stop using it, you should install the Reverter package.

?

and you think the theme its my problem?

Kays

No, I don't think it's a theme problem.

I assume that the Reverter package is to get things back to normal. Check the mod page for it.

But what I would like to know is if you now add that code I posted, do you see the pages normally if they contain  "?wap2"  in url?

Add it above:

// Determine if this is using WAP, WAP2, or imode.  Technically, we should check that wap comes before application/xhtml or text/html, but this doesn't work in practice as much as it should.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

sombra

are you talking about this code

if(isset($_GET['wap2']))
   unset($_REQUEST['wap2']);

if its that with pretty url disabled it takes me to a wap page

Kays

That's strange because it shouldn't do that.

I've started a topic in the support forums to see if anyone has an idea of what's happening here.

Can you try just one more thing. Remove the code I asked you to add. Then find this a bit further down:

if (!defined('WIRELESS'))
define('WIRELESS', isset($_REQUEST['wap']) || isset($_REQUEST['wap2']) || isset($_REQUEST['imode']));

and change it to this:

//if (!defined('WIRELESS'))
//define('WIRELESS', isset($_REQUEST['wap']) || isset($_REQUEST['wap2']) || isset($_REQUEST['imode']));

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Arantor

sombra, did this solve the problem?

sombra

sorry i havent tested yet i have had no time to verify but in this days i hope to verify i have disable pretty url and lest see how google index the site ill be repliying wen im done the testing and thanks for all the help

Dannii

It will probably take months for your changes to be reflected in Google's index.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

sombra

well i tested using the code you gaved me and it dosen load the page it gives me this error

No se pudo cargar la plantilla '_above'.

it means it cudent load the theme '_above'.

Arantor

Then there's something else wrong in the code. The change I presented above should never be able to generate that error, so I'd wonder what page you're trying to visit, and more importantly what theme you're using.

sombra

Arantor

Yes, and what page did you try to go to when you got that error?

sombra

Arantor

Are you using a portal mod? Results of the above changes given that are not necessarily going to be accurate.

If you undo the exact changes I posted, does it work?

sombra

yes im using simpleportal

and for the other question i got lost im not that good at english can you explain me a little further

ad for

QuoteIf you undo the exact changes I posted, does it work?

i had to undo changes my site its live i cant aford to hav it down so much time

Arantor

If it worked before and doesn't now that suggests the change I recommended to you breaks something unforeseen. Thus undo the changes I suggested so it at least works. Then we'll tackle the other part of the problem.

sombra

well the only edit i have made that didint bring a problem was the first one but it didint make what its suposed to do

im a little lost here hehe

Arantor

So if you undo all edits, you get a working forum but still have the issue with wap2?

aw06

Quote from: Kays on September 23, 2009, 09:18:04 PM
Quote from: TheDisturbedOne on September 23, 2009, 08:29:32 PM
You could disable them in robots.txt or in Google Webmaster if you have an account.

I don't know if that is wise since they are also compiling an index of wireless enabled sites.

What I do is to add the following in index.php just before it checks for the wireless protocols. ~line 90

if(isset($_GET['wap2']))
unset($_REQUEST['wap2']);

This allows the pages to be see normally is the browser isn't wireless. Seems to clear up the links with wap2 in them after a while also.

Thanks for this tip .. works great :)
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

sombra

yes i have undo all changes to get it to work and i stil have the wap 2 problem

what can be my problem? or my solution

Advertisement: