News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Please... NO MORE FEATURES!!

Started by Brian Lacy, December 05, 2003, 09:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Lacy

Yes, thats right, I'm asking for nothing -- and not only nothing, but nothing more. Over the course of the past couple of months or so, ever since I learned about SMF, I've been poking my head into the Feature Requests forum, and I've made my share of requests like the rest of you.

But at this point I'm thinking, every feature we ask for is anywhere from another day to another week of delay. In reading existing requests, I see things from the Devs like "This is planned" or "This is in the works" or "We're thinking about it." This is really great -- but on the other hand it suggests to me that its going to be awhile before I get my hands on a copy (because I, despite NOT being a 13 year old "script kiddie," simply cannot afford the price of a charter membership).

Naturally, there are going to be plenty of features that we'll still want for SMF. But there really are a lot of great modders out there who are itching to get their hands on a stable release and start tinkering.

Again, please don't go thinking that I am just being negative or that I don't respect the work the devs are doing. I simply feel that at this point we (the fiscally challenged Loyal Waiters) would be best served by allowing the Devs to finish working their way through their hefty task list and getting us a stable product.

So, this is an appeal to both the Devs and to everyone else who reads and posts in this forum. Please, lets ask the Devs to just finish up the features that are already partially implemented and/or buggy, and maybe add a few other small ones that have been promised -- beyond that, there are future revisions and scores of mods to look forward to!

Thanks in advance, all, for reading (and commenting) on this submission.

pulpitfire

yeah, that ocurred to me too.  if they just focus on fixing current bugs and a stable realease, that will open the door for everyone else to start modding all these feature requests.

Brian Lacy

Incidentally, I don't see any reason people shouldn't continue posting Feature Requests, so long as they make it clear they would like to see this in a future version, or in a mod, and NOT in the first stable release.

Compuart

I do agree there should be no more large features added anymore. But it's not really the feature adding that's taking most of the development time, but more the quality assurance and feature fine tuning. Also features that were partly implemented are now being completed.
It's not our intention to keep adding features and postpone release for that. However creating a quality product simply takes time.  Do keep posting feature suggestions. They keep us sharp  :)
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

klumy

you are right, but I hope we will get a nice christmas present this year. at least a public beta version ;)

Tomer

Correct, they should finish it up now, release the version and take all the requests into the next version.

olger901

I also agree with this, no more feature requests should be made, and it would certainly be a Nice X-Mas present to see SMF 1.0 release scheduled for X-Mas :)

klumy

otherwise it could be hard for SMF to compete with the other competitors like invision, who has already released a new version

James Woodcock

As long as the forum can wash the pots, and hoover the house, who cares :P

pulpitfire

Quote from: James Woodcock on December 06, 2003, 08:28:33 AM
As long as the forum can wash the pots, and hoover the house, who cares :P

yeah, that's what I was going to say--and also one that can cook.

truecrimson

Hey, can the template system give back rubs?  Maybe a feature that changes he cat litter, and takes out the trash would be good too.  And now I'm thinking of another domestic feature, but I don't think I can say it here :P ;)
Wouldn't you like to be a Llama too?

Fizzy

Well to be honest if anything I ever suggested made it into a release I think I'd fall off my saddle in shock.

I quite agree with the suggestion though. Further requests could be put in the pot of ideas for the next release or distributed properly between the official mod writing team.
I like mods more than releases as long as I can play around with BoardMod again ;D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

[Unknown]

Quote from: klumy on December 06, 2003, 08:24:57 AM
otherwise it could be hard for SMF to compete with the other competitors like invision, who has already released a new version

I don't agree.  Look at Microsoft Windows Longhorn.... you think they should start selling it on the shelves now?  But wait!  Look at how many versions Mac OS X has released!  Obviously, by this data we can be assured that Microsoft will never be able to compete with Apple, right?  I mean, I haven't checked but I *assume* Apple has sold more copies, right?

[/sarcasm][sarcasm]

The name of the game isn't "release crap, as much as possible."  Maybe you think it is, but it's not.  It's quality.

And, sorry, but i already have plans and I plan to go through with them.  Whether that means more features or even less, you'll have to guess...

-[Unknown]

Killer Possum

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 07, 2003, 12:11:35 AM
Look at how many versions Mac OS X has released!

[SideNote]Can you belive Mac actually has the nerve to charge for each upgade made to the OS X?? That's a bunch of crap if you ask me, updates should be free it is for everything else. That is one of the reasons why I will never own a Mac[/SideNote]

ratboy3474r7

Hey, why don't we let the development team manage their own project?  If they don't want any more feature requests, they can lock down this board.

[Unknown]

Quote from: ratboy3474r7 on December 09, 2003, 04:05:33 PM
Hey, why don't we let the development team manage their own project?  If they don't want any more feature requests, they can lock down this board.
(and with SMF, that's something we really can do ;).)

-[Unknown]

Brian Lacy

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell the Devs what to do. They have the right to hold off the first release for another ten years if it suits them.

But -- as much as I respect all the Devs and look forward to the product -- I'm not going to wait ten years for it. ;)

Seriously, I'm excited for Simple Machines Forum. Whenever it comes out, I'll be all over it. It just seems to me that the more new features are added from scratch, the more development time increases, and I would personally rather see those features relegated to a later release or a mod than have to wait any longer than necessary.

On the other hand, Quality Control is a perfectly reasonable and necessary reason for delays. When it comes to quality, I'd rather see the product released late yet stable, than released with bugs.

Advertisement: