News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How did you get people to join your forum?

Started by DaBrute, October 02, 2009, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBrute

Banner exchange?  word of mouth? Tell us how you got started!

Robin1989

although i didnt originally start the forum i run as i bought it i do know how the original owner got members and that was by getting into the news sites that were related to his site. he created news worthy posts that were linked to by sites such as engadget, psp-hacks, pspupdates, gizmodo etc

you just need to fill your site with content that would attract your target audience and spread the work round sites with a similar target audience

ApplianceJunk

I wrote How-to type topics and people started registering to ask questions.

jayjayfish

well i told all my friends to tell there friends a bit like chain mail, and i also created a banner and asked admin's to put the banner up for free well probably because we are friends lol, but yh the forum came out good, and im now creating another forum about gaming so i might advertise the same way

Oldiesmann

I just set up an Archie board and posted some interesting topics, with well-organized boards. Then as more people started wandering in, the discussions got more interesting, and now people mostly wander in from search engines.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

SlyBaldGuy

I run a site for bald guys and head shavers, so I just found groups on Myspace and Facebook with the same topic and posted up about my site.  I also made friends with bald bloggers who in turn wrote about my site. 

JBlaze

My site originally started as a home for my old Xbox360 clan. Then, it turned into a sort of "refugee" place when callofduty.com started mass banning members. Ever since then, it's just been a general gaming/chatting forum.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

sunnyyuan

Supply useful information regularly, for every time I come to a forum, I need something useful to me. ;)

ApplianceJunk

I bought everyone that posted a new appliance.

Just kidding... :)

I started out by posting how to articles and found out no matter how detailed I tried to be people still had questions to ask.

adbrad

i just can't seem to get people to join no matter what i try

CultureGlue

jburfoot

face book and bebo all my friends im finding it really hard to get new members. google has found me sum new members but at first i had a massive spam problem then it just stopped. I really wish could get some more so my site gets going better i spend a lot on the hosting.

Oh my site is www.environmentforum.co.uk
PLZ CHECK OUT MY SITE www.environmentforum.co.uk

CultureGlue

Try to help other admins on their forum.. make a post/activity exchange system.

I found three people who are collaborating.. Care to join?

AndreT

I run my forum (well used to run) as a forum for a very populated gameserver that serves 130000+ players per month. The server had 125 slots and was always full and there was a textdraw advertisement for it.

rd

SEO and a bit of advertising to my friends.

Cassiel

On a site that I use to go on a couple of years ago they got a lot of their traffic from Wikipedia. Not sure how they did it though because whenever I heard about anyone else tries to add their site to Wikipedia the page is removed due to advertising. Has anyone else heard how to do it? Would it be possible to create a Wikia for your site?

rd

If I offered free SEO help, would anyone be interested?

adbrad

yes although what i have done for the time being is redircted ny test site to my main forum url as it ranks higher in google

Advertisement: