News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Personal Message to Groups

Started by Arantor, October 08, 2009, 01:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Original Author: Arantor    Current Author: Robbo

Supported Languages: English (US/UK)   
Link To Mod | Mod Bugtracker | My Other Mods

Summary
This mod adds a list of checkboxes to the personal message screen, allowing an admin or other user to pick one or more usergroups and for that user to be able to send messages to all users in those groups at a time.
Instead of finding three or four users who are administrators, this would allow them to select 'Administrator' from the dropdown and it would go to all of the users in the Administrator group at once.
For the purposes of limitations, a group PM like this is considered to be one message out of a user's per hour quota, and is considered to be only one user in the 'maximum number of recipients'. (Sending to two groups is 2 users, and so on)
It is possible to limit which groups are possible recipients of such PMs, meaning you can remove administrators and other groups from the list, as well as setting permissions on who can send to groups.

Note: post count groups are not supported at this time, neither are the board-level moderator group. You'll have to create a regular usergroup and PM them that way.

Change Log

Version 1.4.1
- Added compatibility for 2.0 RC3 (1.1.11 users don't need to bother with this version)

Version 1.4
- Added compatibility for 2.0 RC2 public release (removed Charter support)

Version 1.3
- Added ability to pick on a per-group basis whether to send To or Bcc that group
- Added 2.0 RC2 compatibility
- Bugfix for only one membergroup being available to send to not being selectable

Version 1.2
- Bugfix for some browsers with the collapse/expand

Version 1.1
- Added permission for sending to groups
- Added support for sending to multiple groups at once

Version 1.0
- Initial release

mirahalo

great mod Arantor, this is just what I been looking for

as always, heres spanish language

I like this new way to separate languages files, is much more easy to translate and to add new languages as well. ;)

greetings!

Arantor

I've been doing that for a bit now, actually, as it makes my life a ton easier to implement. I'm not at home at present, but when I'm back home next week I'll be going through revisiting all my mods to get translations up to scratch etc. so I'll add it then.

mirahalo

ok, now I have a bit of free time, I will try to translate  as much mods as I can so you will have to see me very often, hope you don't mind :P

greetings!

Arantor

Translations are always good, and personally I'd like to see more mods translated overall.

Bancherd

Great mod.  :D

Is it possible to set restrictions on which groups could use this feature? My main usages would be for members of a particular group(there are 40+ members) to easily send PM's to others within the same group; at the same time, I do not want members of this group to be bombarded with PM's from normal users that do not belong to this group.

Is there a permission setting?

Arantor

There isn't, but permissions are only at membergroup level anyway.

It's something I can look at but it won't be for at least a week.

Afro

another great idea

weldone aragon :P

Sabre™

Very nice!
Indeed this makes things a little easier, so thanks mate :)
Would you consider an option to select more than one group at a time?
I know you could just resend the pm to the next group after the first, it would just be an addition of convenience rather than necessity.

Cheers :)

x2 Bancherds post
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Arantor

The problem with adding multiple groups is it makes the whole mod suddenly way more complex, not only in terms of interface, but also in terms of sanity checking, and it was complex enough just for one extra group; doing it for two is something I did look at but I figured I'd end up trying to splice it into the current lookups that it's doing (e.g. the autocomplete), which gets messy on many levels.

Even just putting in a Javascript-powered clone dropdown makes it complex enough though that's something I could consider for a future version perhaps.

Permissions, yes, I'm happy to add that in - but won't be until next week at the earliest.

Sabre™

Cool.
Looking forward to it.
Cheers :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Rafferty

Fantastic mod well done. I agree about having the ability to set permissions, I can see some of the lower groups possibly abusing this.
Don't Follow me I got No Idea what I'm Doing

Arantor

Adding permissions would literally be about 6 new lines. But the more I think about this the more I agree a multiple-usergroup send would be good. I'll roll that in next week as well.

Sabre™

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2009, 07:17:49 PM
... I agree a multiple-usergroup send would be good. I'll roll that in next week as well.

Awesome!
Cheers mate :)

Gibbo

Again thanks for this.  I'm glad that so many people can see how this will help their boards.

The new features are great ideas too!  Well Done!

Arantor

That's the definition of a good mod, IMO, one that has broad appeal and use.

I'm hoping to add the other features in the next day or so.

Spoogs

This mod would be very helpful to me also... guess i'll look out for the upcoming update. Good job on a useful mod.

LuminaRS

This seems like an awesome mod. I'll wait until the permissions are implemented as I'd only want this being used by admins/mods

ralliart

The PM to a group works but not for individual.

Got this error trying to send a PM to a member. Can send PMs to this group checkbox are all disabled for all membership groups.

An Error Has Occurred!
Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (group)

Advertisement: