News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

vNES Integration Version 2.0 / RC3 NEW! (Version 2.5 Released)

Started by ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ, October 27, 2009, 11:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armen

These spikes piss me out. RC3 CURVES THEME.

Armen

leebest

Cannot get any of hte games to load.

I know its prob something really simple...any help would be great.

Thanks

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

DefDave7

xious

I'm wondering quite the same thing. How much work would I need to do to run this on 1.1.1x? I'm not familiar with the 2.x platform at all, and I'm not sure what I'd need to change. Assuming I can get it running on 1.x, I'm happy to send the author revised versions, plus additional emulator support.

I'm already working on getting two emulators tied into our site and I'm sure I could adapt this for them as well, and possibly more later down the road.  (I'm mostly working on integration at present, as they're both fully-operational, which isn't easy when one of them has zero documentation at all, at all.)

At present, I was just going to make an individual page for users on request for each system, but full SMF integration with permissions would be ideal, if possible, for our BBS, which runs v1.1.14.

Of course, if there is already a 1.x version of this, or something that can do the job, I'd love to see that before I delve into forcing this to be happy on 1.x...

MoskmaN

i cant load any version of Arkanoid 2 :(

The "Select" where it is? i need for YoNoid! powers XD

xious

Quote from: MoskmaN on July 25, 2011, 03:04:23 PM
i cant load any version of Arkanoid 2 :(

The "Select" where it is? i need for YoNoid! powers XD

vNES is not compatible with 'Arkanoid II', which also has problems on other emulators (including the RetroUSB PowerPak). It wouldn't play well anyhow, considering the lack of the Arkanoid paddle interface, which was bundled with the original Famicom game. 'Arkanoid II' is Mapper 152, if you're wondering.

vNES doesn't handle every NES mapper... See hxxp:www.thatsanderskid.com/programming/vnes/index.html [nonactive] and hxxp:www.thatsanderskid.com/programming/vnes/changelog.html [nonactive]for details.

You should also download the latest JAR file (v2.15) and replace whatever version you're using, unless you are already on 2.15 of vNES; the Virtual NES website uses the outdated v2.13, which lacks support for some titles and has some bugs as well. 2.15 additionally supports using ZIPped ROMs, which eliminates the need to specify file-size and many of the problems with bad-sizes on ROMs in general. There is a manual that details how to implement the emulator, including the commands, though you may want to scan through the sources (also on the vNES site) to see if there are some undocumented commands you'd want to use.

I'm still hoping for a response from the mod author too... It'd be really neat to get this to work on our BBS (1.1.14), and to add stuff like Apple ][ and Atari 2600 engines to it.

OK, so what should I be using in place of the URL BBCode tag to place a URL in a post, and avoid the NONACTIVE tag; or is that just the bottom-line, that all URLs are non-active?

MoskmaN

Its posible to create some mod to play with 2 players members of a forum? that will be nice!

this is similar?
http://vampent.com/vnes.htm [nofollow]

they support multiplayer.

NanoSector

Quote from: MoskmaN on July 28, 2011, 10:02:48 AM
Its posible to create some mod to play with 2 players members of a forum? that will be nice!

this is similar?
http://vampent.com/vnes.htm

they support multiplayer.
Yes, but it is not possible to integrate that on a forum, because it needs you to play the game on the same computer.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

xious

any case, that is an emulator-support feature, and the forum integration wouldn't have anything to do with it. The emulator has to be able to switch control between two remote sources and integrate the NES system memory as a shared resource between them. This isn't impossible, but I don't think any emulator currently out there supports network-play.

If you are interested in this, you should talk to the author of vNES, or hop over to the NESDev forum and discuss it int he Emulators board there.

Is there anybody else here with the relevant skill and experience to transition this project to 1.1.x? I can do it in time, but I have zero experience with the 2.x platform and would be working essentially in the dark, trying to get it to work.

I'm pondering how I'd want to integrate multiple emulators, as the two options are to have discrete panels and scripts for each emulator, which need to not conflict with each other;
alternatively, have a modified script that allows the user to select an emulator from a list, and then select a game (or an emulator+game combo), pointing to the relevant param functions.

I am playing with JStella and sadly it doesn't support AR-games; that means a library of fantastic titles for the Starpath expander won't load, and I think JStella is abandoned. (Many JAVA emulators are pretty dead projects.) I have JAC64 and AppleIIGo working: AppleIIGo is fa easier to use, as JAC64 doesn't appear to have full 1541 emulation. so many copy-protected disk images fail to load.

I also found some other JAVA emulators that I plan to explore: I've been toying with the idea of integrating them before I ever noticed this mod, so it's nothing new, but having full-system-integration with permissions settings would be ideal, as it'd help keep some of the stuff centralised. Some emulators though, would be best kept as individual directories, unique to each user, for the purpose of game saves. It'd be nice to have this as a feature of the mod at some point...

NanoSector

Maybe if you did not know, a forum is COMPLETELY different from a mobile phone... Mobile phones can use local bluetooth, forums do not have bluetooth or any connection between users (it only displays information and elements like any other web software in the market).

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

A lot of games are played online with multi player, that includes java games, although java scripts run client side, multi player games can be possible, just google it, you will find many exist, they can be integrated into anything, including a forum. You do not really need to have the 2 players using the same computer to have a multi player game, it is possible to have multi player java games work and have the players on different computers (server side emulator). This is just an emulator that emulates a console, it can only support multi-player on the same computer, thats vNES.

QuoteIts posible to create some mod to play with 2 players members of a forum? that will be nice!

Yes, its possible for somebody to create a mod for that, go to mod request board. That can never be implemented in vNES, as that would require the emulator to run server side and the controls from client side.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

xious

Add to that the issue of control latency and you're opening a huge can of worms. The idea of split servlet and control applets aside, this would only really be practical for 2-Player alternating[/u] games at this stage, not for 2-player simultaneous games, as the hop-time alone between the two client machines would make a world of problems. 

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

A world of problems if its coded wrong, otherwise, fine.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

Donovan`

I've installed this mod along with your gameboy and custom buttons mod, none of these mods show up in the menu bar after setup. I uploaded roms, checked permissions, everything and it does not show up in the menu bar. Could there be a problem with my subs.php permissions? I've tried everything and I still don't get anything to show up in the menu.

His_Shadow

I've been trying to get this mod to work. I've tried moving the roms into every directory tree I could think of. I've tried changing permissions of the files on the server.

I could really use some help.

freakydeaky

Quote from: His_Shadow on August 23, 2012, 12:02:54 AM
I've been trying to get this mod to work. I've tried moving the roms into every directory tree I could think of. I've tried changing permissions of the files on the server.

I could really use some help.

tell me a little more about the problem... 1) do you have vnes in the navigation bar? 2) have you assigned the roms to the slots in the admin>modifications & settings>vnes?

what version is your smf forum?.... i got it installed by parsing the instructions for smf 2.0.2 and manually installing the mod

crimpson

Is this still being supported? I've been trying to get it working and am at a loss.
SMF version 2.0.6
Using vNES Integration 2.5
Rom size is correct. (bytes, no commas)
Rom location is correct.
vnes settings and permissions are added to my site.
After setting rom 1 and 2, Permissions do not appear for those roms, only 3, 4, and 5 for regular members.
Drop down menu does not get added to my site, not even the default theme.
Direct link to rom does work. (/index.php?action=vnesrom1)
Rom does not load. "Application Error. Your security settings have blocked an untrusted application from running."
lowered java security settings to medium (lowest).
Java is completely up to date.

Rom's I'm trying to load:
Lode Runner (U) [!].nes (24,592 bytes)
Super Mario Bros. (JU) [!].nes (40,976 bytes)

renamed: (permissions set to 755)
Lode_Runner.nes
Super_Mario_Bros.nes

Uploaded to mysite/forum/vnes/roms/

Am I missing something? do these roms not work?
By the way, I do own the original cartridges.

crimpson

I tried using Super Mario Bros. with Duck Hunt which was the exact same amount of bytes as shown in the sample pictures. Still no joy. I'm giving up on this, what a shame. I would have loved to have this but it looks like i have to find some other source of entertainment for my members.

Advertisement: