1.1.10 Instant Fix - Good Idea?

Started by GuArDiAn~AnGeL, October 29, 2009, 01:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuArDiAn~AnGeL

Hi everybody.

First of all, to moderators, please do not move this forum. It is a support topic, but it's giving support, not asking for it.

Second, if you plan on loading up a lot of mods to your board, stay on the Default Core theme, and then just change your style.css to the colors/images you want. Most mods are fully compatible with this theme, so there is a much less chance of mod errors in the future.

If you need help with your style.css, leave a reply here.

LOVELORD

Do you say something new?

Also theme is not only style.css there is many many things... So it will be confused to chage all fi les tomake some custom theme...

If i ask, i will lock this topic...

Moderator: cut the bull, LOVELORD. You have no authority or ability to lock a topic. You're in deep enough trouble with the administrators and moderators as it is, so I'd suggest cooling it before you're banned.

MrPhil

While true enough that most mods will work with the Default theme, most owners choose a different theme in order to get a different look and layout. Sometimes tweaking the CSS file will do the job, but often it's more than just colors and images. What would be needed is a re-architecting with tableless layout (so that positions and size can be specified in CSS). A further problem is that themes themselves need to be modified in order to add new function and blocks to a page. Perhaps if the HTML output of a page could handle any theme, with all the layout customized in CSS, we could get there (different themes would simply be different CSS files). I think SMF 2 is trying to head in that direction, but isn't quite there yet. Even so, if you add new functionality (e.g., a news fader), you'd have to manually hack your theme's CSS file(s) to reposition the layout to accommodate the new on-screen stuff. So, it's a tough nut to crack.

This doesn't even begin to consider the fact that many mods fight among themselves and can't be cleanly inserted and deleted in already modified code. I'm not sure how to deal with that. Perhaps you would always start with a clean core code, and insert all your in-use mods at once (in a single operation, rather than separate installations/deletions for each mod)?

Advertisement: