News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How do I know if it's installed...

Started by moler, November 07, 2009, 12:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moler

I believe I may have trouble with Yahoo from reading the forum...but changing host is simply out of the question at the moment, maybe an additional host is in order, who would you recommend?

All permissions triple checked, and are ok (777)

On the install.php page, only one combination of settings lets you 'connect', all others bring up an error message, so guess all my ftp connection info is correct.

king kratos

Quote from: moler on November 07, 2009, 03:41:10 PM
I believe I may have trouble with Yahoo from reading the forum...but changing host is simply out of the question at the moment, maybe an additional host is in order, who would you recommend?

All permissions triple checked, and are ok (777)

On the install.php page, only one combination of settings lets you 'connect', all others bring up an error message, so guess all my ftp connection info is correct.

/* Start Off Topic
Well, my personal suggestion is Aspiration Hosting. I currently have an account with them and I do not see myself switching hosts any time soon (if ever). James (the owner) is very prompt in addressing any questions, issues, etc that you may have. He is very knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. The support system that he has in place is extremely fast and willing to do whatever it takes to fix the issue and keep you happy. His hosting packages are very reasonably priced and come with a load of additional features. You get unlimited databases, subdomains, email accounts, FTP accounts, parked domains, addon domains, and mailing lists. The lowest priced package has 1GB storage and 20GB bandwidth. SMF runs flawlessly on his servers. The php sendmail() function is enabled and works great on his servers. He doesn't oversell his servers, meaning that he doesn't cram as many accounts as possible on each server. This means that the chance of you getting server busy errors is slim to none. You also have access to Installatron (a program that auto installs programs from a list available). I have 8 apps installed with Installatron and James doesn't restrict the amount of apps you are allowed to install using Installatron (some hosting companies do). The list of available apps is long and includes some really helpful apps.

If you cannot tell, I am extremely happy with Aspiration Hosting's service.
*/
As for the issue at hand, I am not sure where to go from here. It seems that the installer is still seeing the listed files and folders as not having write access. You are stating that you have checked and all of the listed files AND folders have write access (chmod 777). The only thing that I can thing of trying (and this is not that big of a deal since your forum is not even installed yet) is to delete your SMF database and the files Settings.php and Setting_bak.php. Then FTP Settings.php and Setting_bak.php from a fresh download of SMF (make sure you are using the EXACT same SMF version as you have on the server) to your forums root directory (same place where you deleted them from). Then direct your web browser to: http://www.moler-one.com/gyvwforum/install.php and start the install process again.

Kratos

Kill Em All

I'm not sure if Yahoo allows chmod 777, can you try 755?

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

king kratos

Would you be willing to let me have a look at your files to try to work this issue out?

Kratos

Arantor

.htaccess is used for security. Yahoo is well known for not supporting such files.

You would be quite recommended to change hosting for your forum.

moler

What I'm trying to do here is to take over hosting of an existing forum, and increase disc for the current users for attachments etc so before I continue trying to make this work on Yahoo I have a couple questions;

Can I use one host, then direct attachments to be saved on a different host? (I'm guessing not) this would mean I can get a small account somewhere and still use yahoo for starage.

How hard is it to move hosts? is it just a case of downloading my entire contant, moving the domain, and then uploading all content...will the site work as before?

Thanks for your help so far :)

Arantor

Unfortunately it isn't possible in 2.0 by default, not without code modification at least, to support attachments on an external server. It could be added as a mod though.

Advice on moving hosts:
How do I move my SMF forum to a different host?
How do I backup my SMF forum?
How do I backup my database?
How do I restore a database backup?

king kratos

Quote from: Arantor on November 08, 2009, 12:50:46 PM
Advice on moving hosts:
How do I move my SMF forum to a different host?
How do I backup my SMF forum?
How do I backup my database?
How do I restore a database backup?

Arantor already answered both of your questions with the post above. If you do decide to change hosts and run into any problems with moving your site let us know. It is fairly straight forward and not "hard" so to speak. It can be tedious downloading all of the files from the old server and uploading them to the new server, but this is simply time consuming and not "hard".

Kratos

moler

Thanks for the advise :)

I have quickly read though those tutorials already, but I need to get a forum actually up and running before I move the existing one.

If I move my domain name and all content to another host, will it function exactly as it does now? Main reason of asking is that I host a few thousand pictures on my site, that are linked to via [img] tags on a number of different forums, I don't want to have to go and change everyone of these, it would take weeks  ::)

:)

Arantor

If the img tags refer to other forums, you shouldn't need to change them since they're on other sites.

moler

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2009, 01:12:56 PM
If the img tags refer to other forums, you shouldn't need to change them since they're on other sites.
No, the img tags refer to my site where I host my pictures and then post them on the forums I'm on, they are also linked to me website :)

Tyrsson

QuoteNo, the img tags refer to my site
As long as you maintain the exact directory structure (folder/file names and relationship i.e. location within the webspace) then your links will remain intact as your site is defined by your domain name. Regardless of what host is serving the files.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Advertisement: