News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 2 Public is out!

Started by Aaron, November 08, 2009, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhonny

Hi, tnx for my first question.

This is my 2nd:
If i'll install this release, it is upgradable to 2.0 gold?
Tnx again!

John Karlson

Arantor

All releases are upgradeable one way or another. But any and all releases prior to 2.0 gold will remove your existing mods; we don't ever produce mini update packs from one release candidate to the next, so RC3 (if we have one) will replace all the files in your install, as will 2.0 final.

Aldanin

Hello.
My first replay. I like SMF RC1.2. more than IPB with 7 years experience of administration of IPB. I did try to upgrade to RC2 from RC1.2, but have a problem with UTF8, most tables was changed to 1251, but I didn't chose that. Its was before UTF8. I step back to RC1.2 thinking may be after a few months we will have more statistics and found way to make upgrade to next release without bugs like I have described before. Any way GREAT JOB! I'll donate for that release! :) Thank You!  :)
Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome 2.32.0 AMD 64 Dual Core 7850 Black Edition RAM 6 GB GeForce 7300 512 MB Asus M2N-E HD 1TB + 1TB + 250GB + 250 GB

H

Quote from: Leonid_Aldansky on November 19, 2009, 12:44:37 AM
Hello.
My first replay. I like SMF RC1.2. more than IPB with 7 years experience of administration of IPB. I did try to upgrade to RC2 from RC1.2, but have a problem with UTF8, most tables was changed to 1251, but I didn't chose that. Its was before UTF8. I step back to RC1.2 thinking may be after a few months we will have more statistics and found way to make upgrade to next release without bugs like I have described before. Any way GREAT JOB! I'll donate for that release! :) Thank You!  :)

Welcome to SMF
I suggest you make a topic in the support boards with all the relevant data. This sounds like it may be a problem that is isolated to your install
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

fmofmpls

Quote from: Arantor on November 18, 2009, 07:52:11 PM
All releases are upgradeable one way or another. But any and all releases prior to 2.0 gold will remove your existing mods; we don't ever produce mini update packs from one release candidate to the next, so RC3 (if we have one) will replace all the files in your install, as will 2.0 final.

Could clarify the above please? I'm currently running 2.0 rc2 and have a handful of compatible mods installed. Are you saying when 2.0 final is released that my current mods will be gone as they were in the upgrade from 1.10 to 2.0?

Arantor

Yes, just as users from 2.0 RC1.2 who upgraded to 2.0 RC2 found.

We do not issue package manager updates for only the changes between release candidates.

TurtleKicker

I've got a spreadsheet going where I'm tracking the status of RC2 compatibility for all my (80+) mods, organized by importance. This upgrade is going to be a massive undertaking for me.

Is there any sense of the probability of an RC3 before final? 25%? 50%? 75%?

Arantor

Given the number of issues discovered in RC2, I would think (though I'm not one of the devs, I don't know for sure) that an RC3 is very likely, if not definite, prior to 2.0 final.

Caba

Congratualtions on your new SM version release!!  ;D 8)
Currently I am running SMF 1.1.10 on my site (****.net/forum) and want to upgrade it to 2.0 version.

Now, please advise me how to do it. I tried it myself, looked for all options in my admin tab, and couldn't figure that out. Do I have to download it, and then install it manually, or is there system that automatically upgrades to my website forum?? What will happen to my existing one? I do not want to lose all boards and posts I have.

Thanks for your help.
Many more success,

ArgueNow forum administrator,
Universon

青山 素子

Upgrading between major releases (1.1 to 2.0 for example) must be handled manually. Also, pre-release versions must also be upgraded manually.

From our online manual: Upgrading SMF
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Forbs

BrianVB

First time this topic isn't locked because they ask support here ;)

Arantor

Quote from: BrianVB on November 24, 2009, 01:31:42 AM
First time this topic isn't locked because they ask support here ;)

It's only been just over two weeks since this topic opened, and it's been mostly support issue free, which is why we haven't locked it yet.

DarkAngel612

well i put mine in a test forum and registered the admins to it so they can become aquainted with the changes in the back room there...lol

This way when the final full vrsion is done and ready they will have a bit of a clue is they want to go to it or stay with 1.10 and then we have the themes too, I have tried several of the ones that say they are for this version but for some odd reson they did not behave...had to remove then.

again thanks for all your hard work with the software and all the tech support given to all of us when needed.

have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

silber112

¿SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 2 ROCKS! Curve theme looks very good, I am testing it.

I will wait to the realise to update my forums, thanks a lot you all are making a great job.

Pd: sorry for my worse english  ;D

AndreT

Thank you! Great release candidate, works well and better!

Dr. Tax, Ph. D

Yes... great release.  Been hard at work modding my forum the past few days and it looks and works great.  Thank you guys!!

digger

QuoteNew feature: ability to have different readmes in packages for different languages

Is there any instruction how mod authors can use it?

IchBin™

IchBin™        TinyPortal

NoobDeveloper

what's the approx date when we can expect SMF 2.0 final version to release ?

Advertisement: