News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

news.php suggestions

Started by Ben_S, December 09, 2003, 10:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben_S

News.php would be much more usefull if it were possible to specify a limit to the amount of data returned, ie so it just shows a preview of the first x characters, or even better the first paragraph.

Then the reader would click read more  and be taken to the page on the forum.

I would like to use news.php for my sites news, but my article are stupendoudly long.

If such a feature is already there, ignore me, I just couldnt see it.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

[Unknown]

Already done.  Look at the news_readme.html.

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

Had a look at the news_readme that comes with beta 2.5 but that doesnt mention limiting the amount of characters shown, just the amount of news stories shown?

[Unknown]

Quote from: Ben_S on December 09, 2003, 07:03:14 PM
Had a look at the news_readme that comes with beta 2.5 but that doesnt mention limiting the amount of characters shown, just the amount of news stories shown?

I swear you said limit the number of entries.  I missed the last clause in the first paragraph.

Okay, not done.

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

If it was implemented it would make my day, especially now I am without a website due to a security hole in my last cms.

Would love to smfify my whole site, suppose I could hack a limit into it but it seems like a nice feature to have by default.

Ben_S

Just wondering if this is likely to be implemented since I need to decide whether to convert my old news content for forum posts.

Ben

[Unknown]

Yeah, I think I will.  I'm not sure whether it would be best as a parameter or not.... and then there needs to be a more link.

But I like it, and it was requested at YaBB SE a few times....

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

the more link could simply be a link to the actual thread, but what would really make the news system the dogs danglies would be for the more link to go to a none forum thread pages, well sort of like news.php works now just showing the single post though. Not sure if that really makes sence, sort of like how php-puke works?

Sorry for suggesting all this, I know your todo list is large enough already...

James Woodcock

Yeah I am as bad dont worry Ben, I keep creeping around Unknown for a nice little flag mod ;)

Anguz

I want to use this for my updates page... but I was thinking that instead of a number of characters, show the first paragraph of the first message in the thread

that way, you'd have control over what'll be shown

if you hadn't suggested it here, I'd've done a mod for it, and if it isn't included I will, cause I really want this feature :D
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Ben_S

Quote from: Anguz on December 13, 2003, 11:55:49 PM
I want to use this for my updates page... but I was thinking that instead of a number of characters, show the first paragraph of the first message in the thread

that way, you'd have control over what'll be shown

Suggested first para in my first post as the best option :)

Advertisement: