News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

bbc and stuff disappeared

Started by drhamza, November 10, 2009, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveW

Ok, it's my silly fault - I added some code to the index template to show a menu, without it the problem goes away. Apologies for this!!
Watch the skies!!

Nancy

I've been watching this thread for a solution as I have the same problem..... after upgrading my forum, the bbc buttons and smileys are no longer showing.  I checked the Admin panel and they're enabled.  I don't know what else to check so if someone could please assist me, I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

drhamza

Wonga

I had the same problem but only in the firefox browser

I just emptied everything in the clear recent history and it fixed the problem.

drhamza

that's weird, i can see it now!!!

poolhall

some of my users are complaining that they cant see bbcode buttons and smileys. One is complaining she can see it sometimes, sometimes can't. I personally can see then at all times, in 4 different browsers. I am not sure what it is...

The theme is Curve.

Tyrsson

Quote from: Nancy on November 10, 2009, 07:30:14 PM
I've been watching this thread for a solution as I have the same problem..... after upgrading my forum, the bbc buttons and smileys are no longer showing.  I checked the Admin panel and they're enabled.  I don't know what else to check so if someone could please assist me, I would appreciate it.  Thank you.
What theme are you using? Any info that you can provide to help track the problem down will help.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

poolhall

One of my users took a screenshot: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_t4s5_ab9-LI/SvnSbkvypgI/AAAAAAAAA1U/TKVYanFr1fM/s800/nosmilies.jpg

He got no smiley and no bbcode buttons in Chrome (latest version) only, even though he can see them in other browsers. But some other users can't see smileys and buttons in other browsers.

tvkas

I have this as well AND no quick reply box, even on the default theme. All WAS working after I upgraded to 2.0 yesterday but stopped working this afternoon.

EDIT: Mine just started working - I have no idea why!

Tyrsson

Is the browser reporting any errors in the page after it loads?

Can someone that is having this problem please post a link to the site and PM a test account where I can look into this further. Need to find the underlying cause if possible.

Nancy

I just sent you a PM with a link to my website and test account info.  Thank you for looking into this.
Nancy

Tyrsson

Ok thanks, what browser are you using?

They work for me in firefox 3.5 using linux.

rebeal

PM Sent hxxp:www.texasbowhuntn.com/smf [nonactive]

poolhall

It appears to be a browser cache problem for users with no smiles and bbcode buttons. Clearing cache fixes it.

Nancy

Tyrsson looked at my forum and it seems that they aren't working with my theme (Dilbert Multicolor).  I had to revert to the SMF Standard Theme to be able to see them.

tfs

Same problem here.  Clearing the cache hasn't helped.  Here's a screenshot.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Tyrsson

tfs

Quote from: Tyrsson™ on November 11, 2009, 03:12:53 PM
What browser are you using?

FireFox latest & IE8 latest.  Both look the same.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

tfs

I believe the problem is the Foxy! mod for Simple Machines Media Gallery.  I noticed another Foxy! user mentioning it and so I uninstalled Foxy! 1.12 and the icons now appear.  I'll get word of this to Nao, Foxy!'s developer.

Nao 尚

This problem is linked to the fact that a Javascript error was triggered in editor.js, before the new smiley/bbc system was shown, effectively ending the printing process.

In the case of Foxy!, as I explained to Rockas yesterday (and I'm sorry I didn't have time to release an update in the meantime), this is because I wrote some code to be inserted into editor.js right before the SMF dev team changed the variable name from "SmfEditor" to "smc_Editor". Therefore, Javascript triggered an error complaining that "SmfEditor" is an unknown variable. I personally did a site-wide search & replace from SmfEditor to smc_Editor back when the variable name was changed, because I have several other hacks inside my website, but I forgot to update the code for Foxy! itself. This will be done today.

However, of course, Foxy! is only one case. Any mod that does additions to the editor.js file or addresses the SmfEditor variable in one way or another will have the same problem.

Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone having a similar issue!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Advertisement: