Editing copyright section at footer of forum

Started by Prosperous, November 27, 2009, 12:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosperous

Am I able to edit the copyright that is located at the bottom of all SMF installations? Exact text is:

Powered by SMF 2.0 RC2 | SMF © 2006–2009, Simple Machines LLC
XHTML   RSS   WAP2

Now before you all start having a go at me, I don't want to remove or edit the SMF copyright, I just want to edit the file in order to include my own copyright section. If I am allowed to do this, what file must I edit?

Thanks for the help once again. SMF continues to prove it's awesome community support base. 8)
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Looking for or in need of free or paid hosting?
Please contact me now or visit the link above for my very own hosting service.

Marcus Forsberg

Yes, that's perfectly fine. As long as our copyright stays visible, isn't altered or removed in anyway (You can move it to other parts of the main theme, as long as it's there, AFAIK), you are free to do whatever you want with the footer.
To add your own copyright, look at index.template.php. Look for theme_copyright().
That is the piece of code that displays the SMF copyright. Add your own line(s) around that line (Above/below/same line).
Basic HTML knowledge should be all that's required. If you are unsure, please do attach the file, or the relative code, here. :)

Prosperous

No problem at all Nas, thanks for the support. I will edit the file now and will let you know whether I run into any problems or if all goes well.
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Prosperous

I have just edited the copyright. Do you think it looks good the way it is, or should I make it similar to the text of SMF's copyright (in regards to sizing and colour)? Link is found at www.studio-blueprint.com/forum.
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Marcus Forsberg

It works as it is, but I'd personally make it look like the SMF copyright. Just add it do the list and give the <li> tag class="copyright" IIRC.

Prosperous

Edited. How's that now? Do you think I should include the 'and powered by Simple Machines Forum.' or should I leave it blank plainly due to the fact that it says it underneath?
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Marcus Forsberg

Looks a lot better :)
To me, you could leave "and powered by Simple Machines Forum", but that's up to you.

Marked the topic as solved anyway ;)

Prosperous

Yeah I think I will leave it. Thanks for the help Nas and for the opinions. Case closed. ;D
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Marcus Forsberg

Prosperous

Thank you very much. It is a work in progress and development has been perfect lately so I hope to be officially online within the next week or two (regarding the website of course).

If you're ever in need of hosting, free or paid, then please let me know. ;)
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

tlg

Quote from: Yule Goat on November 27, 2009, 12:54:36 PM
As long as our copyright stays visible, isn't altered or removed in anyway (You can move it to other parts of the main theme, as long as it's there, AFAIK), you are free to do whatever you want with the footer.
To add your own copyright, look at index.template.php. Look for theme_copyright().
That is the piece of code that displays the SMF copyright. Add your own line(s) around that line (Above/below/same line).

You mean that;
QuotePowered by SMF 2.0 RC2 Charter Preview | SMF © 2006–2009, Simple Machines LLC 
in this copyright, i can only remove "2.0 RC2" part ? But i can put it anywhere that i want in the main theme?

Is it possible to remove the copyright by making a payment? Or is it possible to keep the copyright, but disable the link to "simplemachines.org"?

Thanks.

Arantor

You can put the call to theme_copyright anywhere in the theme, provided that it is still present, visible and legible.

The link must not be altered.

What reason do you have for wanting to remove the copyright?

Prosperous

Quote from: tlg on December 21, 2009, 06:20:11 PM
QuotePowered by SMF 2.0 RC2 Charter Preview | SMF © 2006–2009, Simple Machines LLC 
in this copyright, i can only remove "2.0 RC2" part ? But i can put it anywhere that i want in the main theme?

Is it possible to remove the copyright by making a payment? Or is it possible to keep the copyright, but disable the link to "simplemachines.org"?

Thanks.

I don't think you'd be able to remove the '2.0 RC2' at all to be honest... Nothing of the copyright text that comes default with an SMF installation is allowed to be altered or removed, but as the text states, you are free to move it anywhere on the forum so long as it's easily visible and displayed correctly (colour, correct characters, etc).
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Arantor

You can remove the 2.0 RC2. There's a mod for it, called Hide SMF Version. We allow that one.

Prosperous

Ah, my mistake then. And I should've thought more about it, sometimes people don't like displaying their forum's version for security purposes. Fair enough I guess. But so long as you are always updating your forum it shouldn't be too much of a problem. ;)
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

tlg

Quote from: The Grinch on December 21, 2009, 06:31:58 PM
You can put the call to theme_copyright anywhere in the theme, provided that it is still present, visible and legible.

The link must not be altered.

What reason do you have for wanting to remove the copyright?

Actually I don't have a problem with the copyright. But i don't want to give a link.,

Is there a specific reason why there should be a link?

Arantor

Actually, there's two links. One back to the main website, one back to the copyright page.

Reason being that it ensures people know the software comes from us and makes it clear what license it is available under.

If you have a valid reason for wanting to remove the copyright other than 'because I want to' or 'because it's ugly', send an email to [email protected] stating the reason and it can be discussed by those in the team empowered to authorise such things - we recognise there are some situations, such as governmental and educational bodies that require no copyright to be displayed, however for most other uses, removal doesn't get granted.

Prosperous

Wow, I didn't know that The Grinch. Good fact to know. If I were that worried about it and I had a valid reason like you seem to have tlg, then I'd go for it. Send an email in and you can only get a yes or no answer pretty much.

Good luck.
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

tlg

Quote from: The Grinch on December 22, 2009, 03:00:38 AM
Actually, there's two links. One back to the main website, one back to the copyright page.

Reason being that it ensures people know the software comes from us and makes it clear what license it is available under.

If you have a valid reason for wanting to remove the copyright other than 'because I want to' or 'because it's ugly', send an email to [email protected] stating the reason and it can be discussed by those in the team empowered to authorise such things - we recognise there are some situations, such as governmental and educational bodies that require no copyright to be displayed, however for most other uses, removal doesn't get granted.

We don't have any problem with the copyright. We can keep the copyright. What we do not want is to provide a link. Is it ok to remove the link but keep the copyright?

Arantor

No, it's not. Under the terms of the license, it must not be altered at all, which includes the link.

What reason is there for removing it other than aesthetics? If you have a good reason other than the look of it, send an email to [email protected] who will consider it.

Advertisement: