News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Problem with unnative hashes

Started by NeKit1000, December 05, 2009, 12:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeKit1000

Some users on my board have
md5(md5($_POST['passwrd']));
hashes. There is one problem. They need to be logged three times. First, SMF ask to update password, than nothing happens, but password hash in DB really changes. And only at third time login works. I know, the first time is needed to disable javascript password hashing. But the second is bug, I suppose.
I'm using SMF 2 RC2.

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Sheepy

I do.

I am facing what I suspect is the same issue when testing a convertion from IPB 1.3.

On first login, the converted hash is still MD5, so they are being asked to re-enter password because of security enhancement. Okey.
On second login, login2 routine update hash to SMF one and redirects to frontpage.
This is where things get interesting - the user is logged out automatically somewhere on this request, IIRC before action is resolved.
So what the users see is they are still not logged in.

In essence they need to login three times assuming they don't make mistakes.  Virtually all the testers complained about this one.

EDIT: Running SMF 2.0 RC 3

Sheepy

Logged as a bug: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=388594.0

Currently fixable by finding this in LogInOut.php:
// Update the password and set up the hash.
updateMemberData($user_settings['id_member'], array('passwd' => $user_settings['passwd'], 'password_salt' => $user_settings['password_salt']));

then add this code right below it:
// Reset flood counter too
updateMemberData($user_settings['id_member'], array('passwd_flood' => ''));

Advertisement: