News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

charset=ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8

Started by pittu, January 02, 2010, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pittu

So I can uninstall and add changes to files manually or keep the mod installed and change the language files only? It seems all files except language files don't need to be updated.

thank you.

MrPhil

If the mod's author chose to install new language text only into the *english* file(s), you'd have to manually copy those new items into your *english-utf8* file(s) (and any other language files you're supporting). There are so many different ways to structure a mod that I can't be any more specific than that -- you just have to monitor which files get hit during a mod installation, and make sure that in one way or another those new language items get put into the language files you use. The "parse mod installation" option on the mod page should tell you which files get hit, and how they're updated. Some mods don't hit the existing language files, but add their own, or update some kind of "Mod" file -- there are many ways of doing it, so there is no one general answer.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Now, this may be  bit late - sorry,

Quote from: MrPhil on January 03, 2010, 01:45:19 PM
Quote from: pittu on January 02, 2010, 07:49:13 PM
OK. I found out:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=865
That seems to be the document others are pointing to. I'm a little concerned that it hasn't been updated since 1.1 RC3 -- does anyone know if it's still current?

I did the conversion on 1.1.8 or something, following that doc - and don't remember anything going horribly wrong :P
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: