News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgraded my forum from 1.1.11 and now I'm being spammed to death

Started by trekkie2444, January 04, 2010, 03:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekkie2444

After the upgrade was finished I started getting emails from gibberish names with gibberish titles that are totally just spam. Why am I getting them and how do I make them stop?

Kindred

you are now running smf 2.0RC2?
Did you activate the CAPTCHA?  Have you tried member activation?

You could try one of the anti-spam mods.... personally, I have had good luck with the reCAPTCHA mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

trekkie2444

This is what I'm getting in my email inbox:

[email protected]
OlgAWCnJkmiS

But my users online shows this for all the guests: Guest (194.110.165.86)   02:01:16 PM   Sending email to another member.

I'll try activating the CAPTCHA but I never had this problem before I upgraded, and yes I'm using RC2.

vbgamer45

What does the complete email look like? Does it appear to be coming from he forum?

If so disable guest options to send topic to a friend etc
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

NFSP_Ashley

I'm having this exact same problem off and on with my motorclub's forum (I setup and Admin the site and forum) it's nfspmotorsports(dot)com(slash)forum if that helps

A couple months ago, it was really bad. I got dozens of emails in just a couple hours.
Then it was off-and-on for a week or so.
Then nothing for weeks
Now I just get one or two of these every once in a while.

It would still be nice to address the cause though.

I don't know if it will do any good, but here's what the email looks like (although the gibberish changes every time)

I spoke with some of the other members, and it seems that the members that are more active, have more posts, and are subscribed to more threads, got more gibberish email. I got the most.

Also, I don't know what CAPTCHA is, so any help there?

Kindred

First of all, you are posting in a thread which has been marked as "solved", so you are less likely to get additional support...

second CAPTCHA

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=173.msg5180#msg5180
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NFSP_Ashley

^Ok.
Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry about posting here, I didn't realize it was marked as "solved"

I think CAPTCHA is enabled on everything, but I'll double check.

Also, member registration is completely disabled.
Membership is subject to a board review, so one of the admins will simply add a member.

Let me go double check all the settings. Anything specific I should be looking for?

NFSP_Ashley

After reviewing all the Admin settings, I may have found the problem, but I do now know how to fix it. (Or at least fix it and retain desired functionality)

In "Administration Center > Security and Moderation > General" the option "Do not reveal contact details of members to guests" un-checked.
I would like people to be able to send emails to any of the members, however, I can't find any option to enable CAPTCHA for the email page (AKA "/forum/index.php?action=emailuser;sa=email;uid=X")
So it's completely possible for a script to send pointless spam to any member. Is there a way to fix this and keep the ability for human guests to send emails?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: