News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

seeking advice on editing basic template

Started by groovie, May 16, 2005, 04:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovie

g'day,

i've just installed smf to work wrapped in mambo. 

i am used to the mambo templating system where the index.php can be modified to effect the actual contents and structure of the site (when editing in dreamweaver you can actually 'see' the changes visually ie tables etc). 

how do i do this in smf, as when i open the index.template.php in dreamweaver there are no visual tables or anything, just code?

for example:

I would like to get rid of the big header section that contains user info, news box, key stats and search box?  Is this possible and if so, how do i do it? (I'd also like to modify the footer). 

Also if there are any general templating guides out there could someone please provide a link to them here?

Thank you ;)

Cheese-Burger

http://patrick.hardcorecoders.net/tutorials/

This will help with some general stuff. Well it helped me with the colours and things.
Hate code. Love burgers

xenovanis

Quote from: groovie on May 16, 2005, 04:12:54 AM
how do i do this in smf, as when i open the index.template.php in dreamweaver there are no visual tables or anything, just code?

for example:

I would like to get rid of the big header section that contains user info, news box, key stats and search box?  Is this possible and if so, how do i do it? (I'd also like to modify the footer). 

Search in index.template.php for
// These are the logo and the three infoboxes

and start removing from there. Just be sure to make a backup of index.template.php before you start hacking. You also might want to check the tutorials mentioned in this post out to get an impression of theme-modification.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: