News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Merge 2 SMF fora

Started by aishaweb, January 26, 2010, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aishaweb

I know this isnt technically a  converter support question, but i believe it kinda fits here OK.

Anyhoo, i have a 1.1.11 forum  AND a 2.0RC2 forum, i have been attempting to convert to phpBB3, then to MyBB due to the fact that MyBB has a merge tool, but it just isnt working at the merge posts part.

Is there another forum i can convert to, then merge, then convert back to SMF?

I dont mind if its not a free forum i convert too.

Norv

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.

Just an idea: depending on how much to you actually want converted over, you may find useful to try the Help Wanted (not for support) board for a paid or free request for the merge, given that if you agree to merge only posts/topics, users, boards, no much else, it might be not so complicated.
How big are the databases, might matter too. (to appreciate the probability for surprises)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

aishaweb

I would be happy if just the posts could be merged into an admin only board, then i could move them out as needed, hmmm...

...goes to post a support thread...

Norv

Well, the board itself is not a big problem, really. I was referring more to other things than posts, that come up, and there are many of them: notifications, be it topic notifications, or board, PMs, attachments, avatars, and many many potential others. Even mod data happens to be wanted by some users.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

ThorstenE

Norv, check out the team internal converters board. there should be a smf_to_smf.sql which works with convert.php.. It's still not completely finished but it should merge all important information. Can you attach it here or send me a a link via PM? I'd finish it but I've lost my local copy due to a harddrive crash and have no longer access to the team boards.

Norv

Sorry for the delay. Sure thing, please, find it attached.

I made one based on it - though rewritten all in php, and with much more stuff, but I'm not at my computer this week, and I have cut remote access to it. Ah well, anyway mine too needed a bit more polishing.

Thanks TE!

navinram

This is a very interesting possibility. Thank you, Norv!

Advertisement: