Theme/forum help please.

Started by Lost-Faith, May 18, 2005, 12:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost-Faith

Ok,i will start this off by letting you all know that i am very bad at coding.but i would like to make a nice forum,with one of the themes found here [made by bloc] and i was wondering if there is a very user friendly forum builder or something that would allow me lots of constimaztion.or just a user friendlly forum builder,that allows me to put in a theme easily?  :-X i know this may sound very stupid to someone who knows alot of coding etc,but i obviouslly dont,but need to make my own forum very badly.thanks in advance.

Dannii

The forum comes with its own installation code, and can also install themes with a few clicks of the mouse. What do you have? how much have you done already?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Lost-Faith

well,i already have one running with hxxp:guildportals.com [nonactive],but i was starting a newer one with forumer.com.that one is also running,but it does'nt have anything in it really.

forsakenlad

You can easily install a theme using the SMF Admin Panel, just go to "Theme and Layout Settings" and just at the bottom you will see the box for installing themes...
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Lost-Faith

ok,i'm sorry but this is were my stupidty kicks in,i have both SMF and PHP downloaded but i dont know how to get either "running" i've read the read me/install files and all i really see is the real long code,what am i supposed to do there? once i get past the code,and get it actually running,i should'nt have any problems.

kegobeer

Quotei have both SMF and PHP downloaded but i dont know how to get either "running"

You need a functioning webserver to run SMF and to utilize PHP.  There are plenty of sites that explain how to set up a webserver, and Unknown has a great tutorial available.  Just search the forums for it.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

EPro

ok i have a theme ..... found the install page in SMF but what file do i select to intall everything in the folder

A.M.A

The theme file which is either *.zip or *.tar.gz
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

EPro

so i shouldn't unzip the file? ...... and if i need to add a mod i do the same?

EPro

now it doesn't change??? i don't understand

[Unknown]

SMF will unzip the files for you.  Don't worry about them, just upload them.

-[Unknown]

EPro

everytime i do that only 3 file get loaded ....... no images or anything ..... tryed to do a manual and link it in the info for the theme and it kinda worked but got some errors ....... any thoughts ..... mabey i missed a step

bloc

Maybe - when you have pressed "browse" - you could take away the content of the bottom box there, the one that say something like "themexx". I am not totally sure which versions of SMf thats needs this, but I usually do it anyway. :)

EPro

got my themes working ..... thanx to all ...... now i want to add a mod ..... hmmmmm going to pull my hair out

EPro

what does this mean?
Notice: Undefined index: hello_member in /home/content/e/n/f/enfamy/html/smf/Themes/cerberus/index.template.php on line 179 EPro

[Unknown]

You're using an older version of SMF.  Upgrade.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: