Password incorrect - users complaining

Started by robg2251, January 27, 2010, 12:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robg2251

We switched to RC2 a while back and it seems since, users have complained that they get a "password incorrect" error, once or twice, before they're able to log in.   It's been several users that have reported this to us.  We've suggested to them to clear cookies, clear cache, etc., and none of it has worked.   

I'm not able to replicate it, but it's obviously a bigger issue since there are several members reporting it to us.   

I searched the forums pretty good, but didn't find if this topic has been discussed yet..  let me know! 

Thanks

Paul_Pauline

I have the same issue on the 1 x version.

If passwords are entered manually they work fine, but if they are stored in a browser they throw up a password incorrect error, I haven't found a solution to this, it would appear the same bug has been ported over to the 2 x version.
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

kat

Tell them to stop using IE and get Opera.

I NEVER get that problem. :)

Paul_Pauline

I'll get carted away for talking to myself   ;D
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

kat

There's a line from THGTTG that fits, there...  ;)

robg2251

I asked a bit further about this, and users are saying it happens when they manually enter their login/password - incorrect password error.   They try it again, and receive the same error.  They said usually on the third or fourth time, for whatever reason, it accepts their password.   

This has been reported by several users, so I can't just write this off as one specific user forgetting their passwords.   And it happens every time they log into the site.   It looks like various browsers and platforms.  Mainly IE8/XP.   

YogiBear

Hi robg,

I find using the box which comes up on the screen by clicking on 'Log in' in the same line as Home, Messages, Members and Help works much better than the collapsible box nearer the header.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

AncientDragonfly

I have the same problem on RC2.  Although none of my members have complained, I can see it in my SMF error logs. 

I have tested it by copying my password to the clipboard, pasting it into the login box, getting an incorrect password error, then pasting the same password from the clipboard in again immediately, and being able to log in. 

I am using Firefox, and I have other members using other browsers.  It is happening with XP, Vista, Apple OSX, Ubuntu Linux, and FreeBSD.

Going to Admin, Forum Maintenance, Routine, then "Empty the file cache" seems to help for a few days, then the problem returns.  It may just be my imagination that emptying the file cache works, though, because the problem seems random to me.

Is "Empty the file cache" one of the "Daily Maintenance" tasks that is run automatically by SMF?  If so, that blows my theory about manually running it fixing the problem out of the water.

robg2251

Thanks for the tip Yogi.  I did make the suggestion to users on the site, but, I did say I'm pursuing a fix for it, as it would be handy just to use the main log in functionality at the top of the site. 
http://www.monroetalks.com/forum/index.php

Makes me wonder if there's some code mess up in the home page login..  shouldn't both of them be exactly the same?   

rufen

got the same thing happening to my forum, too. i'll try clearing my end of the cache on the server see if that helps.

jdimaging

I am using the latest smf2 and the password for everyone has to be entered twice, has anyone come up with an ideas?

kat

This post was for RC2.

If you're still getting this problem, I'd suggest you start a new topic in the v2.x support board.

Advertisement: