News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Importing vB 3.8.2 into existing and populated 1.1.11 SMF?

Started by nogzok, January 28, 2010, 05:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nogzok

Hi,

Domain1 holds Forum1, which is composed of Board1.
--Forum1's members are divided into Usergroup1 and Usergroup2.
--Forum1 is built on vBulletin 3.8.2.

Domain2 holds Forum2, which is composed of Board2.
--Forum2's members are divided into Usergroup3 and Usergroup4.
--Forum2 is built on SMF 1.1.11 .

Domains 1 and 2 are on separate databases and separate hosts.

I would like to add the contents of Forum1 to Forum 2, so that the install of SMF 1.1.11-- that is, Forum 2-- holds the following:
--Board1 (from Forum1)
---containing Usergroups 1 and 2 (from Forum1);
and, as a separate board on the same forum,
--Board2 (from Forum2)
---containing Usergroups 3 and 4 (from Forum2)

Question:

After I download the .sql file of Forum1, how can import Forum1 into Forum2, so as to:
--recreate Board1, with all its posts
--recreate Usergroups1 and 2, with all the usernames, passwords, and permissions

so that, ultimately, the two Boards, with their two distinct Usergroups each, run in parallel as part of the same SMF forum?

Thanks! :)

Both of these are Hostgator sites, for the record.

Norv

If I understand correctly, you can't really do so, currently.

You could: convert Board1 to a SMF 1.1.11 forum (a "Board3"). Then, try to merge the 2 SMF forums, Board2 and Board3. However, I must note that there is no official merge script as yet, though there are informations about how to do this for SMF 1.1.x versions, in this forum (you could try to search this site for "merge smf" or "merge script", something of this kind).
Or, you could post a paid or free request to Help Wanted (not for support), depending on how much you really want imported over, the merge could cost a bit.

Note: in case you agree to have the two - Board2 and Board3 - only on the same host, but not really the same forum, then of course all you need is to convert (using an official converter found on this site's Downloads > Converters) your vb forum.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

nogzok

Thanks for the reply! :)

My plan was to have a single forum, and then have three sub-boards: the private Forum1, the private Forum2, and then a new shared forum-- Forum3--, which both usergroups could visit and into which both usergroups could post, without needing to relogin.

My objective is to get the two types of usergroups-- vB and SMF-- into communication, without the users having to relogin or create new user identities.

I'm probably overlooking something-- so any suggestions as to how I could achieve this objective would be very much appreciated! :)

nogzok

correction:

then have three sub-boards: the private Board1, the private Board2, and then a new shared forum-- Board3--, which both usergroups could visit and into which both usergroups could post, without needing to relogin.

:)

Norv

I understand, but unfortunately as I said, as long as what you wish is a merge of the two databases, there is currently no good way to do it automatically, only bits and pieces of suggestions from people who did it before.
I have actually worked too on a merge script, but unfortunately I have no good idea when I can be reasonably clean it up and perhaps make it more robust to be made public, otherwise the risk in using it may be too high.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: