News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Oops

Started by mgtarheels, February 03, 2010, 02:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgtarheels

So, I installed SMF under a new database and under a page I made specifically for SMF. I made sure the URL of the page I made was used when creating the database for the forums.

Now, my forums overtook my home domain. my "mysitehere.com" is now my forums, instead of "mysitehere.com/forum" :(

mgtarheels

Anyone have anything?

mgtarheels

Crap. I installed it the first time to my root directory and overrode the index.

LOL. How do I fix this?

TehCraw

I think if you overwrite something it's gone forever. You should contact your host, and see if they have a recent backup of you files.
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

mgtarheels

Quote from: ScottyBoy on February 03, 2010, 03:26:09 AM
I think if you overwrite something it's gone forever. You should contact your host, and see if they have a recent backup of you files.

Well, I use Wordpress. I still have all my content and settings from Thesis.

Norv

If you've overwritten a file from another software, then I guess the only thing to do (unless you have a backup, as said before) - is to grab their package again (wordpress or whatever that software was), same version, and get the file from it, to upload it back.

I'd strongly suggest to make a full backup of all your current files yourself, before trying any more replacements.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

mgtarheels

Alright, the problem has been fixed. Thanks all.

Now, does anyone know how to move my forum over to the correct domain at .com/forum?

I moved all the files via ftp, but it is asking me again to reinstall it, asking for a mysql database and what not. I'd prefer to keep all the settings, posts, and users I currently have.

mgtarheels

Cmon, someone has to have something.

Norv

How do I move my SMF forum to a different host?
What is repair_settings.php?

If you copy the already installed SMF files, then it should not ask you to install. Did you copy a new installation package, or the existing files of an already installed SMF?
Please copy the files of the already installed SMF. Do you have them anymore, or ... ? Specially, you need to copy to /forum the file Settings.php from the former location. I recommend to copy everything else, too.
Please see the links above about moving the SMF installation (to another folder, it applies just as well), and use the repair_settings file to adapt the paths to the new location.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: