News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Time Out Errors when Posting

Started by Muddie, February 08, 2010, 07:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muddie

The board I'm a member of is hxxp:forum.vinxperience.net/index.php [nonactive] which is a Simple Machines Forum.

I have tried posting, modifying my profile, etc..... with both Firefox and IE. Everytime I try it times out as it tries to connect to the board with the new information.

Any insight here?

DeathScythe

An addendum to Muddie's post: we have SMF2 RC2 installed along with several MODs, like the Ajax Shoutbox, Global Announcement and a few others. Muddie is so far the only user experiencing this kind of problem. She can log in, she can post in the shoutbox, but every other action seems to trigger the timeout, and I have no reasonable explanation for this. I suggested clearing out cookies and temp internet files for starters, but I don't know if this helped anything.
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes!

sAce

so only this user is facing such timeouts ?

any error in the log ?

i could be a internet connection problem as well

Muddie

Well I use a wireless broadband connection but it seems to not effects any other board I'm on or any other website. I have no firewall up so I don't know what else could cause it. Tried cleaning cookies and temp files with no luck. :(

Update: I can post using the Quick Post but cannot, Modify, Post regularly, modify my profile, or basically anything else.

sAce

okay, in that case i suppose the ISP is out of this,

i suggest a forum maintenance , might just fix the problem

DeathScythe

I only have one incorrect password entry in the error log for user Muddie.
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes!

sAce

hmm.. i cant think of anything else, may be some one who has seen such problem can provide support,

have some patience

kat

Is this just affecting you, or everybody?

Muddie

Arantor

Do you use a different theme to everybody else?

kat

You've tried emptying your cache/cookies, I s'pose...?

smartdeviceresource

Note: I see this (though rarely) on my site with my account (and thus far no one else has mentioned it) and no error is related with it.
Are you using Internet Explorer?  Do you have and scriptblocking or host blocking in your PC setup? Are you an Admin on the site?
after some thought, i've learned to be humble and leave the answering to the experts, until i too am an expert.  sorry to anyone who I've confused, with my answers

Muddie

Arantor - Nope. I can't change anything to pick a different theme. It's not even an option.

Kat - Yep, I have cache cleared and deleted cookies and still no love.

Quote from: smartdeviceresource on February 10, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Note: I see this (though rarely) on my site with my account (and thus far no one else has mentioned it) and no error is related with it.
Are you using Internet Explorer?  Do you have and scriptblocking or host blocking in your PC setup? Are you an Admin on the site?

Using Firefox
As far as I know there is no blocking of any kind set up. I haven't set any up at any rate,
Nope...not an Admin, just a member.

I don't get it. This is a SMF too and I have no problem posting here. I have no problems with any other board or website on the Net. It's just this one.

kat

smartdeviceresource

@Kat may well be correct, I've a heavily edited Hosts file as well (have loaded MVP file to it)
after some thought, i've learned to be humble and leave the answering to the experts, until i too am an expert.  sorry to anyone who I've confused, with my answers

Muddie

Um so how do I check this hosts file? And what should I do with it. I don't have the IP addy and couldn't tell you the www addy when replying or posting or whatnot either.

I logged onto the site from another computer this past weekend and was able to update my profile. But it was a much faster connection than I have at home too.

So it's either my computer or my connection I think but I don't know the first thing about trying to correct it.

Muddie

So I downloaded the Hosts file thing and installed. Tried to post with Firefox version 3.5.7 with no love. It would show this at the bottom of the browser as it tried to load

QuoteRead hxxp:forum.vinxperience.net [nonactive]
and load about 3/4th the way on the little green bar at the bottom right.

Then it would show a page saying this:

QuoteConnection was reset
The connection to the server was rest while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy.Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

1) Page wasn't unavailable or busy

2) My connection was fine

3) I have no firewall up nor a proxy during this

Now I tried to do a test post using IE version 6.0 and success!

So is it a Firefox thing? Could the board not like Mozilla?

smartdeviceresource

Ok this is start to sound more like the Host/server is getting a "too many hits (connections) at a time" error. I beleive Firefox makes a number of connections
Quote from: Trekkie101 on February 13, 2010, 07:45:18 AM
That's pretty honest of them actually, and probably accurate. However keep in mind an average visitor will open about 4 connections by default (IIRC in Firefox). Search bots will open a few aswell. 50 could in reality be around 10-15 people/bots online at once.

or could be

Quote from: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites near the bottom of the pageWebsites randomly do not load
If Firefox or Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey randomly cannot connect to websites:

The site may be down or experiencing difficulties. Try loading the site from another computer or browser to see if this is the case.
Intermittent timeouts and failed page loads can be caused by web scanners bundled with certain anti-virus packages that process all HTTP traffic, such as Kaspersky "Web Anti-Virus" and Avast! "Web Shield". (Avast users have reported the error, Connection Interrupted. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. [22] [23]) In such cases,
In the Kaspersky "Web Anti-Virus" component, you can uncheck the "Scan HTTP traffic" option. [24]
In the Avast! "Web Shield" component, you can disable the "scan all files" web protection option and enable scanning only for downloadable executable files in web traffic. [25] [26]
If you are using the Comodo firewall, it can cause a conflict with your antivirus scanner and interfere with file downloads. Try updating Comodo to the latest version. See this forum thread for details.
If you enabled network.http.pipelining (a "tweak" designed to improve page loading time), disable it in about:config by typing "pipelining" in the filter and right-clicking all entries and choosing Reset. (If you set this preference by editing the "user.js" file, remove this edit.)
You may have problems with your domain name service (DNS).
Sometimes when you first try to use the Internet, your computer may take some time, perhaps up to a minute, to establish a connection. In this case, whichever application is first to use the Internet may experience temporary difficulty, but once a connection is established, all programs should work correctly.
Try disabling IPv6 (see above).
Problematic extensions can cause problems loading web pages (see the linked article for specifics). Try updating all extensions to the latest version first, then disable your extensions or try Safe Mode. Examples of problematic extensions:
The Skype Extension for Firefox may cause pages to continually reload or stop loading [27] [28]
The DownThemAll extension can cause random pages or all pages to stop loading [29] (Note that DownThemAll 1.0 changes certain "network.http" preferences that must be reset, even if you disable or uninstall the extension.)
If the above doesn't help, perform the full Standard diagnostic.

Muddie

I don't have any of the things mentioned in the second part of the quoted post. Could be a Firefox thing I guess. But I am using (and have used for all my posts) Firefox for this site.

Oh and an update on the IE situation:

I still cannot Modify Profile, Reply (using the reply button), Or Modify/Edit a post.

I CAN do a Quick Reply and from time to time Post a very short, small post (As in less than 10 characters). It seems the longer the post/reply the harder it is to do.

I CAN see and use the Shout Box on both though I often have to reload the page because that will time out as well.

Advertisement: