News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Members not getting email noticfications

Started by athenagwis, February 16, 2010, 05:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

athenagwis

My members have mentioned that altely they have not been getting email notifications on threads that they previously had been.  I have nto changed anything on the forum in the last few months, so I am not sure why this feature would stop working and I have no clue of what to try to get it working again for them.  Can someone please help me?

If this has already been asked, can you point me to the threads?

Thanks!!
Rachel

athenagwis

Actually this seems to be the case for all emails from my board, activations and PMs too .... I would really appreciate some suggestions!! One of my mods noticed we have no SMTP server set up, could that be the issue?  If so how do I go about setting one up?

Thanks!
Rachel

Chas Large

Do you have the mail queue enabled? and if so have you checked the queue to see if it's full?

Admin > Maintenance > Mail > Browse queue.

If it's full it may be your ISP has a sending cap on the number of mails sent per hour/day/week etc and this may be holding things up.

If the queue is not enabled check your mail settings. Are you using SMTP and does it require a log in? Has the password been changed (if one is set) some ISPs do not require a password for SMTP from websites on their servers.

Send a newsletter to yourself and see if that arrives.

Have you checked the error log?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

athenagwis

First off thanks for your quick help!  I am using the dilber theme and I can't seem to find my queue through there.  When i go to maitenance I only get;

QuoteHelp Forum Maintenance - General Maintenance
Optimize all tables to improve performance.
Check all files against current versions.
Find and repair any errors.
Recount all forum totals and statistics.
Empty out unimportant logs.
Convert the database and data to UTF-8
Help Forum Maintenance - Backup Database
Save the table structure.
Save the table data. (the important stuff.)

Compress the file with gzip.
Help Forum Maintenance - Remove Old Posts
Remove all topics not posted in for days, which are:
Any sort of topic.
Moved topic notices.
Locked.
But don't count stickied topics.

+ All Boards

Is there a way to see the queue directly on the server?  It may be that it is full .... I hope it's not the cap thing, but if it is, is there a way to get around that?  I can't imagine it would be though there is no way I send more than even 500-1,000 emails a week from the forum.

Currently I have the forum set to PHP which has always worked fine, is it possible my server changed their settings and now I have to use SMTP?  I have never had to use SMTP before so how would I get the settings for that?

Thanks again for all your help!!
Rachel

Chas Large

Hi Rachel.
The DilberMC theme is not fully compatible with SMF 2.0 and in fact appears to have been removed from the Themes site. I would recommend changing back to the default theme for now whilst you fault find the e-mail issue.

The E-Mail cap may be part of the bandwidth limit your webspace provider sets and if you go over the limit they may block the site from sending e-mails. Check your webspace control panel for terms and conditions of service, this should details bandwidth and mail limits.

There is no way I know of to look at the queue on the server, short of running an SQL query on your database.

PHP should be fine for e-mail but SMTP makes things a little easier for the server, again check your control panel for instructions on how to set up SMTP mail services.

HTH
Chas

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Chas Large

Is this issue solved or do you still require assistance?

If this is solved feel free to mark it as solved otherwise reply with some details of what isn't working.

Advertisement: