[4426](Awaiting Approval) Not showing as NEW with reply's

Started by oOo--STAR--oOo, February 17, 2010, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oOo--STAR--oOo

Hi,
Using SMF2.0 RC2 FRESH INSTALL.

I don't know if it is designed to do this but in awaiting approval

Say a member makes a post and requires approval for the post to be visible to others..
What if an admin replies to that post to discuss changes that need to be made to it b4 they will approve it, or any other reason#

Well It does'nt show thata reply has been made in "Show new replies to your posts."
OR
In index where it displays all the boards.. It doesnt show there either that a reply has been made to your Post that is awaiting Approval?
However if you click the board that contains the topic then it will display a NEW image on the topic that has been replied to by an admin.
But other than that there is no other referances..

Is there anything we can do about this? or is there anyone who can guide me so that it ill display that replies have been make in the correct Places.

Thanks
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Kill Em All

Sorry for getting to this late.

It does this for me to on the latest RC3. Let me bring a dev to this as this could either be a bug of a "feature". But I agree that it should show up there still.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Arantor

I'd argue this is a bug, and this used to annoy the out of me when I was moderating here, but it seems to be by design.

Kill Em All

I asked a Dev to take a look at it as I agree Arantor, I feel this would be a bug. There are 2 or 3 other things to that annoy me about the moderation system. This now being one of them.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Norv

I was quite sure I've seen it reported previously, but I seem unable to find where.
Thank you for the report. Moving this to Bug Reports pending feedback from devs.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Kill Em All

I posted this in the dev section to. Cause some might consider this a bug and some might not.

Arantor

* Arantor wonders why everyone with Mantis powers runs away from posting stuff in Mantis. It's sufficiently bug-worthy in multiple team member-level opinions that it could just be reported.

Kill Em All

So we don't add another one to the list. Plus I wasn't sure if other team members would agree.

Arantor

If it's not a bug it'll be closed summarily. If it is a bug as multiple people seem to agree - two team members by the looks of things, two non team members... while it seemed like a weird behaviour, it seemed intentional from the code so I didn't flag it for that reason. In hindsight I should have reported this ages ago.

Norv

Quote from: Arantor on March 29, 2010, 06:31:20 PM
* Arantor wonders why everyone with Mantis powers runs away from posting stuff in Mantis. It's sufficiently bug-worthy in multiple team member-level opinions that it could just be reported.

There are reasons why I do not consider Mantis the most appropriate tool for discussing issues, even though yes, it is (or can be) appropriate for tracking issues. So I am usually using it.
However, as I am not able to (and did not pretend to) check the issue on a fresh svn this very evening, I am not very inclined to report it in Mantis so that others can do the work in my place and check it out. I admit I am guilty of a few such cases however in the past, but specially given that I seem to remember some report or talk about this one, I do not consider it necessary to add a potential duplicate case or whatnot at this time.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Arantor

*shrug* Try it on SVN, see if it still happens, and then if it does, consider reporting it properly because it is actually a hideous PITA in a real environment, to the point where if it is intentional, it's practically a bug anyway.

* Arantor is very glad he isn't on the team, can see he would get into a whole lot of arguments about stuff like this.

Kill Em All

Quote from: Arantor on March 29, 2010, 06:42:09 PM
* Arantor is very glad he isn't on the team, can see he would get into a whole lot of arguments about stuff like this.
* Kill Em All found this very funny.

I find SVNs are a pain to get, It could be me being lazy though.

Norv

I will test it on svn when I will be able to.
I see no need for arguments, it is indeed an interesting issue, and I can see why people may think that the unapproved post is similar to a "non-existing" post... It is, justifiably so, for some use cases. But this particular case, I admit that from an usability point of view, it's an unfortunate surprise for the user. The post exists for him/her, and it's even very important to find out about that reply (since it's most likely related to its approval itself), so I agree it'd make sense to treat it as such.

Arantor

KEA: It's because of multiple arguments I left the team for a break in November. Ironically the tipping point was an argument over something I'd built that apparently had no purpose and spending literally all night was a total waste of time because a 'better' (though, in hindsight, the 'better' version was fundamentally flawed in premise and implementation) version was already in SVN.

I know this is getting off topic. But in a real environment this behaviour violates the law of least surprises, and leads to more than one missed thread.

Norv

The point has been made, and repeatedly so, Arantor. Thank you for the input, whether you believe it or not, it is appreciated.

Kill Em All

I'm not going to continue this on its off topicness. I'll dl a SVN later tonight and test it if Norv doesn't beat me to it.

Thank you both Arantor and Norv for clearing this up for me. :)

Arantor

As long as someone's actually listening, my part here is done.

Arantor

Kill Em All

Ok, sorry for the long wait. Really long. :(

I just tested this and it seems to be working, please note however I did not test the notification by email stuff, but it does show in new replies now.

opps, wrong board. No, it doesn't show in the new replies.

Kill Em All

Devs, I tested this in one of the later versions of 2.0- DEV 20100821

Still occurs and this doesn't seem to be marked in the bug tracker, can we please put it in there, or has it been settled that it shouldn't be?

Norv

It hasn't been settled either way.
Yes, I believe it should be tracked.

Acans

"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Kill Em All

Acans

I was actually trying to do that for the past 10 minutes.

The schools internet is dial-up, and were using IE7.

It took about 5 - 10 to report it to Mantis, and whenever I tryed to change the topic title on board view it keeped timing out, so i just gave up.
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Kill Em All

Excuses :P jk

I have never heard of dialup for a school, must be really slow. :(

Acans

Its a 2mbt connection from our ISP to the school, than that speed is spread across 250 Desktops (wired), and 425 latops (wireless). Its a state school BTW.

I'm home now, so I'm happy.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Opps.. I totally forgot about this..
But I'm glad that you are considering a FIX.. I think that its something that should be considered a fix as its a great assest to a fully functional forum.

I just feel that, if there is no referance to the reply by an Admin then the Member will just lose track of whats posted.
Also its great for other admins/mods to see whats new also.
Thanks..
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

emanuele

Bumping for reminder

Placeholder waiting for a bit of testing.

Commit: 08c90d38ab1aed097f4ff23f35a047c37cfc7f7e

Unapproved posts show up in unread and unreadreplies [Bug 4426] - separated branch because it can introduce security issues, so I prefer to test it a little bit more

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Advertisement: