Image verification code not working

Started by darraghflah, February 20, 2010, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darraghflah

Hi,
I had to disable the image verification code on registration, because the picture wouldn't show up, just a broken picture. How can I fix this? I don't want to have spammers on my forum.

Chas Large

Have you recently installed any modifications?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

darraghflah

As far as I know, it occured when I changed from one host to another, but I don't know how it happened, as I did a complete site tranfer by ftp.

Chas Large

Can you post a link to your site so I can test and see the problem?

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

darraghflah

Chas Large

Well comparing the Image URL on your site to my test site via Google Chrome:

http://sccommunity.co.cc/index.php?PHPSESSID=d80f5c1befaeda2be45a5752d58b89bd&action=verificationcode;rand=15bde0c54f16df4a1156e4e315fbcfca

http://www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/devtest3/index.php?action=verificationcode;rand=1fadeb85c22ab374728a6532c5fb3d3f

You can see there is one hell of a difference. It would appear that something is corrupting the code for the image. The images are there and are accessible.

You say this only occurred when you changed hosts. Did you change the cookie name?

Maybe reply #2 on this topic may help:

darraghflah

You mention, changine the name of the cookie. What is the importance of that? I did change the name of the cookie a while ago, because I didn't think it was very important what it was called.

darraghflah

Where is the directory that handles the image verification? Where can I change it's value in the forum?

Chas Large

Quote from: darraghflah on February 20, 2010, 02:23:00 PM
You mention, changine the name of the cookie. What is the importance of that? I did change the name of the cookie a while ago, because I didn't think it was very important what it was called.
The cookie name may be linked in your browser to your old host IP, changing it to something else may fix the problem but it is just a guess.
Quote from: darraghflah on February 20, 2010, 02:48:15 PM
Where is the directory that handles the image verification? Where can I change it's value in the forum?
I regret my knowledge of that area of SMF is very lacking. Did you check out that link I placed? That topic dealt with the same problem.

darraghflah

Yeah. I tried most of the things. But, I think I'm just going to disable the smf default verification in favour of RECAPTCHA.

Advertisement: