News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

different "Child Boards" text for each parent forum?

Started by Neek, March 02, 2010, 01:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neek

i already renamed the "Child Boards" text by editing the parent_boards value in index.english.php, but i want to know if it's possible to use different "Child Boards" text for each parent forum?

as a very simple example, say i had two parent forums, 'cold' and 'hot' and each had child forums listed under them. i want the "Child Boards" text preceding the child forums of 'cold' to be "freezing" and the "Child Boards" text preceding the child forums of 'hot' to be "burning"

cold
freezing: ice, BSOD

hot
burning: fire, spicy

possible?

thanks

Neek

i'm just not really sure where to even begin. direction, please? anyone?

Rumbaar

Yes but you'd need to define each of the child boards text based on a unique identifier.

So use the $txt string what would incorporate the $board['id'] variable into it.  Then define a different $txt string based on that combination to call to populate your display text.

So the $txt[] would be something like:
$txt['parent_boards10'] = 'Freezing';
$txt['parent_boards12'] = 'Burning';
Where you two parent boards ID's would be 10 & 12 respectively.

But I'm not entirely sure if the $board['id'] is populated at the point that you need it.  Experimentation.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Tearstar

What way would you recommend to renaming the "Child Boards" to the name of the Parent Board it's in:

Basicly I can't have a Generic "Child Boards": in the title of each child board. I want it to be the "Parent Board Name : Child Board Name"

Engor
        Engor : Guilds
              Guilds : Fighters Guild
                    Fighters Guild : Admin
                        Message Title
                        Message Title

Rumbaar

Not sure how you would do it, to make it automated.  As you would have to populate the appropriate $txt entry with the applicable Parent Board name and concatenate the new static name.  Then as you move down the name of the child which is a combination of names would be used as the next down, but then would also include the parent.

You could try a more hard coded method as I suggest in the previous post.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: