News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Taking up to much CPU HELP!!!!

Started by kaamaru, March 09, 2010, 08:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaamaru

QuoteHello

I have posted your current stats, which shows your account is still using high CPU resources.

ihackmyi.com   6.90   7.94   0.5
Top Process   %CPU 39.0   [php]
Top Process   %CPU 34.0   /usr/bin/php /home/public_html/iphone/index.php
Top Process   %CPU 32.0   /usr/bin/php /home/public_html/iphone/index.php

CPU - 6.90
memory - 7.94
mySQL - 0.5

Did you try to disable access to search and spider bots, please enable hotlink protection? Please try to use robots.txt to disable access.

If you are using WP please check this urls:
http://www.cravingtech.com/reduce-wordpress-cpu-usage-general-tips.html
http://www.cravingtech.com/reduce-wordpress-cpu-usage-3-reduce-your-database-queries.html

Thank you for contacting lunar pages support team.

Mods installed:

YouTube BBCode   
2.   SimplePortal   
3.   Proxy Blocker   
4.   Internal_Links_Use_Same_Window   
5.   nCode Image Resizer   
6.   Regular Groups with Post Count Based Groups
7.   Override SEF Checks
8.   Add Favicon.ico Support
9.   Curve mobile mod
10.   Board Sort Methods
12.   MessagePreviewOnHover

MarcusJ

I would start by disabling Enotify.  From what I've read in the support thread, that thing can trigger a ton of queries.  You should probably read up on tuning that mod if you haven't already.

kaamaru

Sorry, I don't have that installed.  It was just on my list but not installed. Removed form the list.

MarcusJ

I just noticed who your host is.  I had the same issue with them when my forum got to be around the same size as yours.  I ended up moving to a dedicated server, but I also use the box to host other things.  You may want to look into other hosting options.

The shared hosting is not really meant to power even a modestly busy forum.  They get you in the details with just how much PCU and memory usage they allow you.

QuotePlease make adjustments to your site in order to reduce the strain it places on the server, or consider upgrading to a Dedicated hosting solution where your site could run in its present state without affecting other customers. If you have any questions or issues regarding this matter please let us know and we'll be happy to assist you.

You could do things like removing your portal to reduce the amount of strain on their resources.  But I think you have basically outgrown their shared hosting plan.  You might look into alternative shared hosting sites, or perhaps a Virtual dedicated somewhere.

I would also recommend waiting for more input in addition to mine.  :)  I am still learning here.

Good luck.

kaamaru

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I dont have enough money to pay for dedicated.

MarcusJ

Do you have persistent connection disabled?

kaamaru

Yes :/. I even have the hotlinking protection thing! Anything else I could try?

BTW to anyone looking for a web host LUNARPAGES SUCKS!!!! THEY HAVE NOT HELPED ME ONE BIT. They even shut down my site with no warning!

MarcusJ

Perhaps those with more knowledge than me can give you some pointers.

I wouldn't be angry with lunarpages.  Shared hosting isn't really meant to be used for an active site like yours.  You get what you pay for, and five bucks a month isn't enough to warrant anger over this issue in my opinion.  I think any shared host would have done the same thing.

I guess you could remove your portal, that should relieve some of the stress.  Although I'm not sure how much.  Really though, when a site grows you have to expect you'll need to graduate to a more suitable host.  There are some SMF specific hosts around.  Perhaps you could look into that?  Also I would put up a 'Donate' link on your site and encourage your members to help you foot the hosting costs.

There is an entire forum here dedicated to Hosting Discussion.  I would suggest starting there.

kaamaru

Thanks for the help. Hmmm do you know any cheap dedicated servers?

MarcusJ

I don't think you actually need a 'dedicated'.  Perhaps just a different host.  I would look in the Paid Hosting area of the Hosting boards here.  You might find something more flexible than Lunar for not too much more money.

kaamaru

Mark S

Quote from: ' on March 09, 2010, 09:04:01 PM
BTW to anyone looking for a web host LUNARPAGES SUCKS!!!! THEY HAVE NOT HELPED ME ONE BIT. They even shut down my site with no warning!

I have to agree on that one entirely.  I was on their host and they did exactly the same thing, with no warning at all.  Said my site was causing their server to become unstable, so they moved me to another host... one which had even LESS resources and my site was off-line for 3 days (the time it took me to swithc servers to Hostmonster).  I contacted them, using all my ability to keep a lid on my chagrin, and they were quite slsow to respond and their responses were brief, curt and almost seemed like pre-packaged scripts, offering no help as how to reduce my usage.

Although I moved my active site, I kept working on the original one.  I found a few things... when you use the file manager and "delete" files... they aren't entirely deleted.  You have to go into the disk usage manager and delete them from there as well (this of course only applies to disk usage, not bandwidth [which is supposed to be unlimited].  I have a highly code hacked site as well so I trashed a lot of files along the way.

Also, are you set to have edited or replaced files automatically copied?  If you don't know, you can easily tell because any file that has had the original saved as well is followed by an ~ .  For example:  index.template.php ~ is a copy.  I never realized that until I saw so many of them.  Dropped another boatload by deleting them and disabling that function.  I got a lot of this info from the live, 24/7 chat support Hostmonster has.  It's excellent!

Also, delete the stuff in the Temp Directory periodically.  Use the disk space manager.  This contains a slow querie log and upload/downloads.  This can get big.  Periodically delete it.  In fact, your post reminded me it's been a while since I've done mine.  I just dropped 48mb there alone.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that, shared servers sell their space to make money.  They cut the slices as thin as they can to make the most profit, yet keep new business coming in.  Ever since Looserpages shut me down, I get queasy every time I see my disk usage growing.

kaamaru

Thanks for that! I am not defiantly going to move to devoted hosting. Is 80 GB enough bandwidth a month? They said Gold would be the best for my site. http://www.devotedhosting.com/Reseller.php. (I showed them the CPU thing aswell)

kappazuhk

There is an alternative to dedicated hosting, I had a similar problem with my old host. Godaddy offers an grid hosting that is no more than a regular hosting account. I have yet to have any problems with it no matter the traffic or mods I have added to any of my sites. I  host all 3 of my sites from one account for less than $5.00 per month. They claim you can have as many as 100,000 hits with in 24 hours and not even a glitch or complaint from them. Just an idea :)

kaamaru

I just cheacked my Cpanel and This month I have already done 112 GB of bandwidth! Can this be possible?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? WOuld this package be the problem? MessagePreviewOnHover. There must be a problem or do you think it's my site popularity. My Average page views per day is 21239.87.

Look at attachments!

kaamaru

Got A dedicated server!

Pentium 4 2.8ghz
1 GB RAM
160 GB Hard Drive
1500 GB Monthly Bandwidth
4 IP Addresses
CentOS
cPanel/WHM

Afro

Quote from: Calumks on March 16, 2010, 08:22:59 AM
Got A dedicated server!

Pentium 4 2.8ghz
1 GB RAM
160 GB Hard Drive
1500 GB Monthly Bandwidth
4 IP Addresses
CentOS
cPanel/WHM

for how much ?

tumbleweed

well duh!!!!
Lunar Pages of course you are going to get hit like that...

You dont need a dedi just a good shared is all.

Frank
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

Kill Em All

Calumks, I'm going to mark this solved as you seem to have things working with the dedicated server.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: