News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

A reminder to update your email and passwords

Started by SleePy, March 15, 2010, 06:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

Hello community,

The Simple Machines Team would like to ask all of our users to please check their profiles and update their email addresses.  By keeping this information updated, we can continue to contact you with notifications regarding updates such as new releases.

For some time now, after sending announcements such as the "SMF 2.0 RC3 release announcement", we received bounce messages from some of our community members.  Some of those members may have received a personal message (PM) recently about the bounced message.  Thank you for those who taken their time after receiving the PM to update your contact details.

Some auto replies also indicate the need for us to reply to verify our existence.  We will not be replying to these emails and they will be deleted.  In addition you may receive the PM informing you of this.  The simplest solution would be for you to white list simplemachines.org.  If you're not sure how to do this, your email host will have information regarding adding a domain to your white list.

In addition to updating emails, the Simple Machines Team would like to remind all of our community users to update passwords and/or secret questions/answers.  Weak passwords or secret questions/answers can lead to your account being compromised.  We have had a couple cases recently of this occurring.  Please ensure your password is a strong complex password and your secret question and answer is information only you know.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Kill Em All

Also to avoid accounts being hijacked, its good to keep a good anti virus around and run it once a week. :)

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Apllicmz

Wiejeben

Yea I know this sucks, but it goes to the SPAM box  :o

program5

Quote from: Wiejeben on March 16, 2010, 06:50:14 AM
Yea I know this sucks, but it goes to the SPAM box  :o

Mark As Safe-Not Junk and/or whitelist :)

www.modj.ir

done.
tnx

god save me from my FRIENDs, i can protect myself from my enemies

charlottezweb

To chime in here -- I highly recommend using something like KeePass to create and manage complex passwords.  Don't share passwords between multiple sites, your computer, etc.    For those of us who are members of all sorts of sites, forums, etc, you should have a different complex password for all of them.

http://keepass.info/

青山 素子

Totally agreed with a password manager. I'm using KeePassX, which is a port of KeePass that works on Linux and OS X.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

giveaway365.com

kai920

Quote from: Motoko-chan on March 16, 2010, 09:04:24 PM
Totally agreed with a password manager. I'm using KeePassX, which is a port of KeePass that works on Linux and OS X.

This. Plus, use Dropbox and your kdb file is always within reach :)

rsdworker

gisfreak

hem, my email still working...no need to update

:)
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

صلاح الدين

necrit

For proper security I use Keepass, Panda Antivirus, Process Explorer.  Between those three tools i am confident im able to hide my passwords and gauge any anomalies on my system before they become an issue.  Also if i understand correctly you are receiving bounce messages?  Does the sendmail system you use not properly set its headers to the domain mailer its coming out of?  99% off email systems merely check that the sender originates form the domain they say they do.

青山 素子

Bounces as in the address the users originally used don't exist anymore.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

necrit

Yes that i understand.  it was the white-listing request for all users to perform that confused me.  My forum easily passes as legitimate traffic.  I wonder why SMF is not just trusted by the email systems out there.  The only thing i can think of revolves around the way the send mail daemon is setup for SMF.  Or i guess it COULD be that your server handles hundreds of thousands of messages each month.  I will reside my curiosity to be irrelevant but i will note i have SMF mail in my inbox for around 3 years now without problems.  maybe new accounts only cause it :D

Well at least i completed the updates the admins requested.

青山 素子

Some people have "human interaction" filters set up on their accounts. You send a message, then a reply goes back that says to visit some webpage to confirm you are human before the mail is delivered. It's annoying for real humans, but it sure stops spam and cuts back on e-mail! (Hint: It's because you annoy everyone into not sending to you.) Because of the mail volume on this site, and because it's all automated, those "human interaction" mails are discarded. By whitelisting SMF's domain, it ensures that filter won't be used and you'll get mails from this site.
Motoko-chan

Nictoria

Yea I know this sucks, but it goes to the SPAM box

Advertisement: