Show unread post since last visit and Show new replies doesn't always work

Started by QBDev, March 16, 2010, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBDev

I have now seen another instance when the Show unread post since last visit and Show new Replies to your posts does not work.

I had these buttons every few minutes to see if there is anything new to reply to.  Nothing appears then a user emails to say why aren't I replying.

Having the ability to see new posts is a requirement.  Otherwise I don't know what is there for me to answer.

Can someone please help me???

Chas Large

In all the forums I run it works OK, so something must be amiss.

Can you post a link to the site for testing?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

QBDev

It seems to work most of the time.

http://www.quickbooksintegration.net/forum3/

I did just see this today but the problem was yesterday.
There has been a problem with the database!
This is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues.

Talking to the host provider does no good.

Thanks
Jack

petesky

I think there is missing in all these links the ;all; option.
So extend all your links with action=unread to action=unread;all; where it's missing.

Chas Large

Quote from: petesky on March 19, 2010, 10:40:23 AM
I think there is missing in all these links the ;all; option.
So extend all your links with action=unread to action=unread;all; where it's missing.
Sorry Petersky, this does not make sense to me. If I click the Unread replies here on SMF I see.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=unread

If I do the same on QB's forum I see

http://www.quickbooksintegration.net/forum3/index.php?action=unread

Which, apart from the sitename, looks the same. QB is using a default forum setup so I don't see how he can add an ;all; to the code other than manually adding it at the address bar. I've just done that and no new posts of any kind appear, so there is definitely a problem here.

QB (hope you don't mind me shortening your name) I think I may know the what the problem is. In your Breadcrumb trail you have: QuickBooks Integration Community Forum by http://www.aaatex.com > Recent Unread Topics

Whereas here, for example the trail reads:   Simple Machines Community Forum » SMF Support » SMF 1.x Support

Now whilst this is an SMF 2.0 forum and yours is a 1.1.11 version, it should not normally have a web address in that line. My test forum for example reads. TestDev3 > General Category > General Chat Area

So I think either you have got a path setting incorrect in the setup or perhaps a mod has been done to your code to introduce your website address which the dB will have difficulty in using to produce the list of unread posts.

[Edit]I can see how this was achieved the web address is included in the forum name in Admin > Server Settings. Try removing that and see if that fixes things.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

QBDev

This is an SMF 1.1 board or at least that is where I opened this thread.

I have taken out the http://  but I did want a link to my main web site and I don't see any other way of doing it.

This is sort of a 'closed' communitiy forum for our current and potential customers so we do not get a lot of postings.

But if www.aaatex.com is ok we will see what happens.

Thanks

Chas Large

Actually I experimented a bit with this after I posted and it does not seem to matter what you put there, it's just rendered as text so clicking that address in the breadcrumb trail won't work, it just takes you to the forum index page.

I've also tried to mimic the settings/permisssions you have on my test 1.1.11 forum

The only thing I can now think of that might be causing this issue, especially as you say it's intermittent, is that the search settings you have may be causing it.

Can you post the settings from the three dialogs in Admin > Search

QBDev

I don't think that I changed any but the number of search results.

Settings,
Enable simple Search Checked,
Number of search results per pages 50
Maximum results to show 1200

Weights
Relative seach weight for number of matching 30
for age of last matching 25
for topic len 20
matching subject 15
for first message match 10
for sticky topic 0

Method
Seach index checked
Force the use of a search undex Unchecked
Match whole words only Unchecked

Chas Large

Well I changed my test forum to those settings and still I could see unread posts and new replies from a test user and vice verso, so it has me stumped.

I'll consult with colleagues who may be able to offer more advice but for me I am stumped :'(

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

QBDev

Thanks for your efforts.

So what is the recommendation?

Wait for SMF 1.2 or go with an RC?
When will 1.2 be in 'production' or stable or whatever you call it.

There are no mods in this yet and only the Stop Forum Spam as a added package.

I will need to put in some mods to get www.AaaTeX.com more visible and to find ways of getting more traffic, etc.

kat

I'm just kinda wondering, out loud, here...

I wonder if some file, or other, is write-protected.

~DS~

Quote from: Kat on March 22, 2010, 04:59:51 PM
I'm just kinda wondering, out loud, here...

I wonder if some file, or other, is write-protected.
Should we report this bug? I have this simliar issue when testing it on my test site with 1.1.11?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Chas Large

I don't think it's a bug DS as It works fine on two of my test 1.1.11 forums.

Perhaps Kat is right. QB can you tell us what directory permissions you have set for your forum?

QBDev

All first level folders are rwx--r-x
or 604 for the nix's
Owner RW
Group none
World R

I don't understand how a permissions problem can cause Intermittant results. Usually if they are bad it would never work.

Chas Large

Well personally I have the root folder as 707 and sub folders as 755. All folders should have read access for groups.

If some part of the system cannot "read" a folder correctly then the search index will not be updated correctly. Never checked myself but does the search facility work as expected?

QBDev

I am changed the subfolders but di no want to give write access on the main folder. All writes should be to the database.

QBDev

After changing the permissions my forum is now disfunctional.

The messages has lost all their icons and pictures.

I may have to re-install the entire forum.

QBDev

Chas Large

As I said here:
Quote from: Chas Large on March 23, 2010, 03:38:36 AM
Well personally I have the root folder as 707 and sub folders as 755. All folders should have read access for groups.

Another member (MrPhil) offers this information information regarding permissions.

Advertisement: