Account activation issues with email activation

Started by gazzak, March 22, 2010, 05:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzak

Hi All,

When a user registers on my forum, they receive an email from us with a link to activate the account. When they click the link, it doesn't activate the account, but takes them to the "resend activation code" page. I have tested this and it's happening.

How can I fix this?

(using V2 RC3)

chilly

when you tested it... did you check the url?
i had problems with activation maisl too.
I used a gmx-mail-adress and gmx changed the link of the mail to something wrong that misses some important information so smf doesnt get the info to activate the user. (seems like some webmail stuff doesnt like the ";" - semikolon - used in the url)

Language Coordinator

gazzak

The link sent to activate the account is this...

http://www.myforums.com/index.php?action=activate;u=4;code=42f45b93eb [nofollow]

The link in the same email to activate via the code is this...

http://www.myforums.com/index.php?action=activate;u=4 [nofollow]

Both links send the user to the resend activation code page???

gazzak

OK, it appears that the URL is fine, but clicking on the link from googlemail doesn't work, wheras copying and pasting the text directly into a browser works fine.

So my next question is, how can I adjust the outgoing email to state this fact? IE. If the above lind doesn't work, copy and paste it into your browser?

chilly

The link shwon is no problem. If you mark it and than Copy & Paste -> no problem
But if you click on it, it changes. There is no way for you to change that, cause it is done by the webmail service.

thats the same problem as i had with gmx.

Language Coordinator

gazzak

Quote from: chilly on March 22, 2010, 06:43:58 AM
The link shwon is no problem. If you mark it and than Copy & Paste -> no problem
But if you click on it, it changes. There is no way for you to change that, cause it is done by the webmail service.

thats the same problem as i had with gmx.

That's it exactly Chilly. I'm just wondering how I can add my own line in that outgoing email to warn the new users?

chilly

To change the E-Mail Text you need to look for EmailTemplates.{language}.php and change the Text of the Mail-Template used for the Activation-Link.

• resend_activate_message
  • admin_approve_activation
  • admin_approve_remind
  • admin_register_activate
  • activate_reactivate
  • register_activate
  • register_openid_activate

that are the templates i found using an activationlink

If you are using multiple languages you should edit the emailtemplates for each language

Language Coordinator

gazzak

Thanks Chilly. Changed the email template and tested sucessfully.
(also had to clear the forum cache for the forum to load the new template)

Resolved  :D

atreiou

what type of changes have you made ?
I have the same problem

chilly

he did not change any code. he just added own text to the mail.

Language Coordinator

Advertisement: