News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Hi, new to SMF and going with 2.0

Started by wynnyelle, March 22, 2010, 09:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

hi, I'm new and was wondering are the mods made for the older SMF still usable with SMF 2.0?

Hitakashi

Well some mods like this one
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1669
Is made for SMF 1 and SMF 2 you'll just have to look around the mod database for mods made for SMF 2.0

i don't know if mods made for SMF 1.1.x would work with SMF 2

wynnyelle

Thanks! Will have a look.

I have another question, one of many: Is there an upper character limit on SMF posts? I'm thinking of converting from proboards and we have a 60,000 character limit there.

Hitakashi

i don't think so for upper case but default there's a 20000 post limit which can be changed in Posts and Topics » Post Settings

wynnyelle

I don't mean post limit I mean how many characters per post.

But if it can be changed then it's fine.

Also - I can't get my avatars to be as big as 100x100, there any way to do that?

Kays

Hi, welcome to SMF. :)

Most 1.1 mods probably won't work with 2.0. It's best the use mods for you version SMF.

I believe the maximum characters is 65,534 characters. But I think that can be increased.

For avatar sets you can't change the size. For uploaded avatars look in the Admin CP > Attachments and Avatars > Avatar settings.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

wynnyelle

My good buddy Hitakashi showed me how to make the avatars all display at 100x100. He's been helping me every step.  I'm probably going to only have a rather small gallery of avatars stored and people can pick from them or upload their own. Most will upload their own.

As for the character limit, if it can't be changed that's not a big deal, the rest could just be put on a second post if it goes over. My forum is in large part a writing forum though so sometimes we get those long posts.

Thanks for the welcome!

Kays

Since you have the avatars, create a folder in the Avatars folder and place them in it. They should be selectable then in the member's profile.

I just checked and the limit is at 65,534. At one time the post size was checked and the table size increased if it was longer.. But it looks like they wrote that out.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

wynnyelle

Okay, so that's not changeable now?

No matter, it's not really an issue if it can't be. Thanks :) I was just mostly concerned it it was shorter.

Kays

My bad, I was looking at the wrong version. It can be set with 2.0

Admin CP > Posts and Topics > Maximum allowed post size. Leaving it at 0, it will default to 65,534

My Mods

wynnyelle

Awesome! One more reason to go with this.

I am also concerned about hacking. I know someone on their forum they hired a mod then he used evil means to turn himself into an admin and destroy stuff! Is that possible by way of using malicious javascript or some other stuff?

Noticed a problem - custom titles don't display images:

http://acorn.toxichosting.com/index.php?topic=3.msg5#new

There a fix for this?

Oldiesmann

In a default setup, it is not possible to post JavaScript unless you're an administrator using the special HTML bbcode tag, so I wouldn't worry about someone making themselves an admin. That's fairly difficult to do.

What are you planning to use the custom title field for? There is no "fix" for that to my knowledge (though using "fix" implies that it's broken, which it isn't - the custom title field has never had the ability to display images).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

wynnyelle

Yeah I'm currently on Proboards which does allow for this. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal since most people don't utilise it anyway and we could just enable bigger avatars. :)

and yeah we've had issues with malicious Javascript in the past so that is a good thing to hear.

Oh! Going through admin panel, what's "enable local cookie storage"?

KensonPlays

Stores a copy of the log in info, etc... on the users local machine.

and...

WELCOME TO SMF, I hope you enjoy your using this awesome free software!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

wynnyelle

Thank you so much! I really like what I see so far. It's much more customisable than proboards.

I'm looking at member group assignment now, and I am wondering what this means:

Select permission profile   inherit from: regular members, etc...
based off of: regular members, etc...
by type: standard, etc...

Sorry so many questions!

KensonPlays

It copies the permissions of that group into your new group (inherit) | based off of: just like it says BASED off of | by type, like moderator, admin, etc, that type of group.

any more questions? ask away!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

wynnyelle

I see! Thanks! Sort of like a copy and edit.

I do have more questions, actually. My forum is "all ages" and a PG in rating. It will be the same here, however I don't know where the word censor is, I don't want the kiddies seeing certain bad words :P However we also have adults and teenagers. Is it possible to censor words by age on the profile? The older members being able to choose whether or not words got censored for them? Or censor words only on some boards? We allow more in the roleplay and prose than we would in normal conversation.

If not, that's fine, we just have the censors on for everyone presently at Proboards and it could be the same here.

Kays

The word filter can be found under Posts and Topics.

You can allow members to bypass it. But that's a theme option. Current Theme > Allow users to turn off word censoring:

My Mods

wynnyelle

Thanks!!! Looking through this section now.

Yes I saw that there's an option to allow users to bypass it, I would only allow that above a certain age, say 13 or 15 or whatever. Is there a way to turn that option on for only above a certain age? {If not, no biggie...people who know the words would know what the starred out words are :P }

I'm on post settings now, seeing this:

" HelpTime required between posts from the same IP
    seconds
HelpCourtesy edit wait time
    seconds
HelpMaximum time after posting to allow edit
0 to disable "

Not sure what all these mean except the last one. Would administrators/mods be able to override edit time limitations?

There also a limit on whether members can delete their posts after a certain time? {We've had issues with deletions because it's an RPG so deletions can rip chunks out of the story threads.}

Kays

The censoring is all or nothing. There might be a mod for it or you can request a mod in the Mod Requests board

If you click on the help icon (?) it should explain each item better. Admins can override all permissions. For post deletion, that can be disabled in the member group permissions. Also, in Posts and Topics, set up a recycle board. Then any deleted posts will end up there.

My Mods

Advertisement: