News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Error 404 not found for english_british/new.gif

Started by Chas Large, March 24, 2010, 04:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chas Large

Hi all,

Similar problem to this one: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=372489.0

I'm getting this error all the time in the log.

Error 404 - Not Found (http://www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/forum/%27%20+%20smf_images_url%20+%20%27/english_british/new.gif)

It's been there since I changed to English British language. It never causes a problem fr members, the file is in the correct directory and shows correctly on the forum index.

All the references to the file seem to be correct so I'm at a loss as to why this error is occurring in the log.

I've looked for similar code that Mr Phil mentioned might be corrupted in the topic above but can't find anything like it.
Any ideas?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

kat

We sometime miss the obvious, Chas...

The image is at that path, yeah?

Or, is that path a bit spurious, as I suspect...?

Chas Large

I understand what you mean Kat and I have checked. Of course, if I copy & paste that url into a browser the forum reports that image as missing.

http://www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/forum/%27%20+%20smf_images_url%20+%20%27/english_british/new.gif

If I modify the url to be

http://www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/forum/Themes/default/images/english_british/new.gif

It is found.

What I cannot understand is where this url is being generated from? No-one reports constantly seeing a 404 message or any errors, they just appear in the error log, nowhere else.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

chilly

search in code for "/english_british/new.gif" to find where that part is used? (is "englisch_british" the language? not sure at the moment... if yes only search for new.gif

btw... is something else found in the error log?

Language Coordinator

kat

Chas Large

Quote from: chilly on March 24, 2010, 06:19:34 PM
search in code for "/english_british/new.gif" to find where that part is used? (is "englisch_british" the language? not sure at the moment... if yes only search for new.gif

btw... is something else found in the error log?
Thanks chilly, have already done that and of course I've found where it's used and it is being used correctly. It appears correctly where it should in the forum on the board indexes. It's just this error message in the log that gives me a concern. As I've said in the OP, it's not just my forum that's got the problem, another member with a 1.1.11 forum has the same issue.

Arantor

No, it's where there is a link somewhere using the Javascript variable smf_images_url and it's being incorrectly converted.

What page(s) is it appearing on?

I also doubt you will be able to create the path properly because it's not what it appears to be in the slightest. (url_encode has a habit of confusing things immensely)

Chas Large

Chas Large

Quote from: Arantor on March 24, 2010, 06:22:52 PM
No, it's where there is a link somewhere using the Javascript variable smf_images_url and it's being incorrectly converted.

What page(s) is it appearing on?

I also doubt you will be able to create the path properly because it's not what it appears to be in the slightest. (url_encode has a habit of confusing things immensely)
It only appears in the error log, never on the forum.

[Edit] just did a search and "smf_images_url" is referenced in 46 files throughout the forum, where to start?

Arantor

Right.... but in the error log it gives you the page on which it occurred?

kat

I just meant to make a directory named ""english_british" and put "new.gif" in it.

It'll stop the errors and if the forum's OK, it won't affect anything else.

I was partly joking, but partly serious, too. ;)

Arantor

Kat: No it won't. The URL contains smf_script_url which is the problem. english_british folder exists with the new.gif image already as Chas mentions.

kat

Ah, yeah, of course.

So, it's the "%27%20+%20smf_images_url%20+%20%27" that's goofy.

Maybe the images path in the theme's settings is wrong?

Arantor

Nope, not at all.

smf_images_url is a Javascript variable. Something is emitting it wholesale instead of actually processing it.

Arantor

Or damaged theme. Or in some cases a search engine gone awry. Is it *just* the front page it happens on or is it somewhere else according to the error logs?

Chas Large

Here's the full error message as it appears, referencing one member.

I have no idea what page triggers the error, it's not referenced in the error message

Arantor

Chas Large

I have 19 installed. but I believe this error was appearing before these were installed, it's only since I changed to English British Language. As it's not caused any problems I've just been deleting them so cannot say for sure when it started. It was there on 1.1.11 I think but certainly on 2.0 RC2.

Chas Large

There are two lines of identical code in default\Themes.template.php that do not look right to me

// Replace the paths for images.
refreshPreviewCache = refreshPreviewCache.replace(/url\(\.\.\/images/gi, "url(" + smf_images_url);

See the part that says /images/gi,

Does that look right?

Advertisement: