Using File Permissions brings down entire site?

Started by Angelina Belle, March 26, 2010, 05:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelina Belle

I guess sometimes UNIX is not UNIX, and the owner shown in DIR is not the owner.
That is weird.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

kat

"Weird" describes the entire world of the internet, rather well. ;)

Joshua Dickerson

Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Illori

i have seen on my server [before moved to another server by host but not tested after move] some mods cause the main home/<username> folder to have incorrect chmod applied on a server that requires chmod 755 on folders. i had spoken to norv about it at the time and he said he had heard others have similar issues but no idea what caused it.

Angelina Belle

If anyone is willing to loan me a 1 and 1 account, I am willing to do the experiment.
I am not willing to do this on my live forum.

phpinfo tells me: SERVER_SOFTWARE Apache and also  Server API CGI , so I know that I've got apache running php in Suexec mode.

I am pretty sure 1and1 has this set up correctly.  They've been doing this for a while, and they seem to have a good reputation for setting their servers up properly.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Trekkie101

I can't get this to 000 anything on my cPanel host, sadly no 1&1 account to try with. Marking as unable to reproduce, someone open a new bug report if it persists.

Angelina Belle

Might as well.  Nobody can reproduce the error, for lack of an appropriate testing platform.

I really do wish I could find another 1&1 account to test this on.

Arantor

Closing this, retracking centrally under https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/1276

That report links back here and means that when we tackle it, we can find all the relevant information easily.

Advertisement: