News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Invision v1.1.2->Simplemachines 1.0.3

Started by Private Jet, June 01, 2005, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Private Jet

I'm trying to convert Invision v1.1.2 to Simplemachines 1.0.3 can anyone confirm that it will work? And does anyone know where I can find some instructions?

I downloaded this file but I don't know what to do next
http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php/invision_to_smf.php

Thanks!

Grudge

I'm only a half geek really...

Private Jet

I tried it but I used cpanel to install 1.0.2 then I did a quick upgrade to 1.0.3. So I didn't have the password for the database because it got created automatically. So what I did was delete the databasename_smf1 user and then I created it again and put my own password for it. Well it didn't work. Then I created a separate admin account for that database and used that password but it didn't work either. Finally I tried deleting the databasename_smf1 user again but now I can't get that user name back. So when I visit my Simple machines boards now I get this message: Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

:(

P.S. The password I made has about 16 characters, I know that sometimes they get cut off because they are too long. Is this something that happens with mysql users?

Oldiesmann

When you install it via Fantastico through CPanel, the password can be viewed by looking at SMF's Settings.php. You will have to add that user to the IPB database though, but that's relatively easy to do. I suggest uninstalling SMF altogether through Fantastico then re-installing it and upgrading again. That's probably the easiest way to do it.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Private Jet

Quote from: Oldiesmann on June 01, 2005, 10:19:09 AM
When you install it via Fantastico through CPanel, the password can be viewed by looking at SMF's Settings.php.
I should use phpmyadmin for that right?

Quote from: Oldiesmann on June 01, 2005, 10:19:09 AM
You will have to add that user to the IPB database though, but that's relatively easy to do.
This part I don't understand, what is the IPB database? Shouldn't I just look up the default admin's password from cpanel

Thanks for your repply I agree that re-installing is the only way.

Oldiesmann

IPB's database is the database that IPB is installed on. In this case it will be different than the one SMF is installed on. To view SMF's Settings.php, you will need to download it using an FTP client such as FileZilla and then open it up in WordPad or another text editor that supports binary files (Notepad doesn't).

To add a user to a database in CPanel:
After logging in, click on "MySQL Databases"
Scroll down to the bottom until you see a couple of dropdown lists and a bunch of checkboxes. You should see something like "Add user to database".
Select the user created for SMF from the list on the left, and the database that IPB is installed on from the list on the right, and click "Add".
Also, just to make sure things work right, add the IPB database user to the SMF database.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Private Jet

Thanks! that was a bit tricky but it mostly worked. The only thing though for other users that find this thread, IPB=Invision Power Board Database.

I only had a few things that did not work during conversion, all the posts and members are in but I lost my admin status. And I hope that there is at least one admin account left because it seems that the permissions were lost as says below. Also some sections are not viewable but that's probably due to permissions also.

Converting...
Converting members... successful.
Converting categories... successful.
Converting boards... successful.
Converting topics... successful.
Converting messages... (this may take some time) successful.
Converting messages (step 2)... successful.
Converting polls... successful.
Converting poll options... successful.
Converting previous poll votes... successful.
Converting personal messages... successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)... successful.
Converting personal messages (step 3)... successful.
Converting topic notifications... successful.
Converting board notifications... successful.
Converting moderators... successful.
Converting group permissions...
Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/boycott/public_html/bbs/invision_to_smf.php on line 1659

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/boycott/public_html/bbs/invision_to_smf.php on line 1699
successful.
Converting board permissions...
Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/boycott/public_html/bbs/invision_to_smf.php on line 1769

Warning: mysql_free_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/boycott/public_html/bbs/invision_to_smf.php on line 1774
successful.
Converting board access... successful.
Converting smileys... successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... successful.
Converting forum settings... successful.

[Unknown]

UPDATE smf_members
SET ID_GROUP = 1
WHERE memberName = 'your username here';

What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

Private Jet

You guys rock thanks so much for helping my bbs http://boycottg4.com/bbs/ [nofollow]

Advertisement: