Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

it possibly will not, because, IIRC, wordpress actually has a variable name conflict with SMF...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TKG26

Wordpress is not an issue for me. I disabled comments.

so far so good, it after 2 days "Bad Behavior has blocked 526 access attempts in the last 7 days."
I have dropped from having to manually reject 30 bot registrations a day to 3 and today just 1. And holy cow i managed to get 2 actual members signed up..

Now under manage members i only have: View all members/Search for members/Awaiting Approval.

TKG26

I am wondering if i have things setup correctly.

Can anyone confirm?

www.rcottawa.com   *****honeypot script is installed here****
www.rcottawa.com/forum

butchs

You can confirm yourself.  Check out testing under the first post in this thread.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

TKG26

I cannot figure out what am supposed to do with that test.  Any noob instructions for that?

Im still getting loads of bots registering daily.. 20-30 a day. I manually approve all users.

The mod is doing something thats for sure:
QuoteBad Behavior has blocked 1927 access attempts in the last 7 days.
Project Honey Pot is online.

Could i have some settings set wrong?

Thanks in advance

Kindred

Well,   for one, you need multiple layers to prevent spam registrations.

You really need to add "questions" using the standard SMF 2.0.x questions feature
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TKG26

I have added questions. Although very easy questions. Ill try new harder questions.

Thanks

butchs

I tested it and it appears to be working.  Maybe you should up your "Cache Duration to at least 20-45 sec.

I notice that you are running SMF 2.0.2.  You should upgrade to the latest SMF version.  That old SMF version attracts bad elements.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

TKG26

TKG26

Update.
Changed cache time from 20 to 40 seconds
Changed registration questions to be harder. no number related questions

I only had one bot slip through... thats pretty good. Dont mind deleting one a day

Bigguy

You should really do the update to the latest version of SMF. The older versions of SMF are not reliable security wise.

TKG26

ill look into it... ill end up on another thread for this one... i took over hosting my site from a friends server moved to my own service.... the auto update doesn't work as the server transfer to not go 100% smoothly. so ill have to manually update wich scares me.. :)

TKG26

Quote from: TKG26 on August 13, 2014, 11:56:48 PM
Update.
Changed cache time from 20 to 40 seconds
Changed registration questions to be harder. no number related questions

I only had one bot slip through... thats pretty good. Dont mind deleting one a day

UPDATE:
Updated to the latest SMF

I may get one bot a week slip through thats it...... I may switch back to "Member Activation". I have been manually approving( Member Approval) members for over a year now..... I get maybe 1 new user a week. so i may go to Member Activation

butchs

You can try adjusting the httpBL threat and age level.  See the first page and the Project Honeypot Web page for more info.

alphacaveman2

I have the Bad Behavior mod and I'm wondering if I should check the option to "Block Empty User Agents." Does that mean that when someone is hiding their host, ip, etc. that it will block them? Because on my board those are almost always spammers or trolls.

Thanks.

BB13

Whats up with the "I said no cheating!" when i use a backup? How do i solve this problem. So it does not do this if i use a backup containing  Bad behavior.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

BB13

When i restore an earlier state via a backup, a white page is all i can see. On the page is written "I said no cheating!"

butchs

Quote from: alphacaveman2 on December 18, 2014, 10:38:18 AM
I have the Bad Behavior mod and I'm wondering if I should check the option to "Block Empty User Agents." Does that mean that when someone is hiding their host, ip, etc. that it will block them? Because on my board those are almost always spammers or trolls.

Thanks.

That option blocks empty browser fields.  ie Firefox.

Advertisement: