Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

Quote from: BB13 on December 20, 2014, 11:30:09 AM
When i restore an earlier state via a backup, a white page is all i can see. On the page is written "I said no cheating!"

"I said no cheating!" is generated by the BB Core when it is not properly defined.   This is a security measure.  It means that you are trying to launch the program while missing files or code.  Most likely something not restored from the back-up.  Try uninstalling the mod before the back-up and reinstall it afterwards.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

BB13

Quote from: butchs on December 20, 2014, 02:22:50 PM
Quote from: BB13 on December 20, 2014, 11:30:09 AM
When i restore an earlier state via a backup, a white page is all i can see. On the page is written "I said no cheating!"

"I said no cheating!" is generated by the BB Core when it is not properly defined.   This is a security measure.  It means that you are trying to launch the program while missing files or code.  Most likely something not restored from the back-up.  Try uninstalling the mod before the back-up and reinstall it afterwards.

Thanks for the help!

mwisebaker

Question - when I go into the Bad Behavior settings it says "Project Honeypot is offline", which corresponds to around the same time I started getting a lot more spam-bots registering to my form. I see that the site hxxp:www.projecthoneypot.org [nonactive] seems to be up and running, so I'm unsure whether my mod is broken or needs to be updated. Any help?

butchs

It was offline this morning but is online now.  Either they are doing maintenance or your settings need adjustment.  Please see post 1 of this thread for details.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Figured it would be quicker to ask for direction about 2.1... could someone point me to where to change the display attributes for the text of this mods stats located in the index footer if a admin has it configured to display? Its not too bad but the actual number is difficult to read because there is not enough contrast of color due to the dark background of SMF footer...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

butchs

I have not upgraded the mod for 2.1 yet.   Maybe in a few months or when 2.1 is officially released for production sites.  I am working on a new 2.0.x version but have been bogged down by other issues.  2.1 is a totally different animal and will require some code to be re-written.  Especially the admin logs.  It is not a copy paste port!

The code is in "index.template.php" via "bb2_insert_stats".

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

understood... will not mess with it for now... but as a side note to everyone, my install of it on 2.1 "seems" to be functioning well so far...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Auke

Quote from: butchs on January 18, 2015, 07:43:21 PM
I am working on a new 2.0.x version but have been bogged down by other issues.

I get lots of spammers on my forum at the moment, and am thinking about installing the bad behaviour mod. However, my forum is on SMF 2.0.8 while the present bad behaviour mod says 2.0.7. Could I still install the mod or is it safer to wait for the new version?

Thanks!

MovedGoalPosts

I'm running the present bad behaviour mod on my current 2.0.9 SMF version, no issues.  But then I've had bad behaviour for a couple of years now so the forum has been upgraded around bad behaviour.

Note that the bad behaviour SMF mod here is perhaps slightly out dated as it is based on v2.2.15 whereas bad behaviour itself is now version 2.2.16.

Auke

Thank you for your reply MovedGoalPosts! From your answer I conclude it may not be 100% safe. I really do need some decent protection though. I guess I'd best test Bad behaviour before actually putting it on my forum. Unfortunately, I hit a snag, but hopefully that problem is soon solved.

Is there some knowledge here as to when a 2.0.8-compatible version of Bad Bahaviour may come out?

Kindred

any mod for 2.0.x will work on almost any other version of 2.0.x

additionally, you should be upgrading to 2.0.9, since the 2.0.9 update is a security release.

finally, I have no idea what you mean about 100% safe.   I have been running this bad behavior mod on all of my forums for years without issue.

postscript...   "decent protection" against what, exactly?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

@ Kindred:

I will upgrade to 2.0.9 when I'm sure the Bad Behaviour mod is not causing any troubles. I first would like to have 'decent protection' against those cursed spammers that I now have to remove manually each day.

@ all:

Apparently all is okay now for installation, except for 1 thing: according to the automatic mod test, the test fails on 1 point. I would like to know if this could cause a serious problem if I would continue with installing. See attachment. My forum is still 2.0.8 (will shortly become 2.0.9), has default theme and only 7 installed mods.

Kindred

nearly every error could cause issues.  read the faq on what to do if a mod fails in portions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

I can't find the answer to the problem in the FAQ's (or I'm just not seeing it). Maybe there is some conflict with the other mods I installed? I'll uninstall some of them to see what happens. Fingers crossed...

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Auke

Thanks Kindred. Didn't help me much though.

Anyway, I figured that probably one of the other installed mods was the culprit, so I've just uninstalled them one by one. And I actually found the problem! Apparently, Bad Behaviour has a problem when the mod 'BK-modding favicon and Custom Global html' is installed. I'm not sure yet, but when I was (un)installing the various mods a couple of times, it appeared that I could re-install this mod without trouble when Bad Behaviour was in already place. I thought there might be someone here who would find this info interesting.

Okay, I'm trying to figure out now which parts of BB I should activate and which parts not. Could someone please advise me on what to do with the 'Reverse Proxy' stuff? I have no idea what this is, and the ?-function doesn't help me here. Also, I'm not sure about the function of 'Block empty User Agents'.

For the time being I'll leave my BB mod as it is now. I do see the notification 'Project Honey Pot is offline!'. Does that mean that BB is not actually working on my website at he moment?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Auke

No, not yet. Is that mandatory if you want BB to function? I had a look at the Honey Pot site, but the registration form asks me to sign for agreement with what I think is probably at least 10 pages of legal texts. That will take me some hours before I've read and understood it...

Kindred

well, that is why the project honeypot appears "offline" for you
Слaва
Украинi

Auke

Okay, I just registered at Project Honey Pot.

In the Bad Behaviour settings I see 3 lines where I can (should?) enter something and which are obviously directly related to PHP:
- http:BL Access Key
- Honeypot Link
- Honeypot Link word

What should I enter here, and where can I find it?

Advertisement: