News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mail Queue Issues

Started by nivlac, April 16, 2010, 01:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nivlac

I'm trying to understand the mail queue in SMF 2.0 RC2. I did some searching in this board but didn't find anything to help me understand.

Under settings, there are two settings; "Maximum emails to send per minute" and "Maximum amount of emails to send per page load". Mine are set for 5 per minute and 2 per pageload. My host's email per hour limit is currently set at 300 per hour. We currently have 236 members and I'm using SMTP.

When an announcement is sent to all members the emails go into the queue and gradually go out but, will sometimes sit in the queue as long as 3 or 4 days.

Is the reference to page loads in the one setting an indication that the queue functions on page loads as opposed to counting time like cron does? As in, it only sends email when someone visits a page on the site, and it then sends however many emails per minute you have set?

If this is the case, what about small forums that have older members that rarely visit the forum and rely on the notification emails to read the posts, but gets them several days late because the queue isn't sending them out in a timely Mainer?

Also, does the per hour limit set by many hosts apply to PHP mail or SMTP mail, or both.

Kill Em All

I believe there were problems in RC2 with the Mail Queue. You should probably upgrade to RC3 to see if it fixes the issue(for future news letters probably).
Upgrading SMF

Please note that will delete any mods you may have.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: