News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

custom message/topic icons

Started by Pene, April 17, 2010, 02:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pene

I am trying to upload my own custom message/topic icons.
I already changed the icons to .gif format.
I am at
admin > Smileys and Message Icons > Settings > Enable customized message icons > add new icon
It asks for the file name. I've been assuming that means that path, but I've now tried putting the icons in a variety of places and putting the path in as well as putting in the filename.
It says this each time.
QuoteThe icon image could not be found in the default theme - please ensure the image has been uploaded and try again.
!I am using the theme CurvedLife.

Here are the locations where I've uploaded them with Filezilla, followed by attempts to add the new icons.
  • The smileys folder, in their own folder listed as topic_icons. This was not within the theme folder.
  • The images folder for curvedlife
  • Into the topic folder which is in the curvedlife images folder—but not inside their own folder. This folder contained the default message icons, so I thought that might do it.
  • Then, since they are now in several locations, I simply tried the file name...though I was skeptical.

I then noticed that it showed .gif as .GIF. I've had the caps problem before, so I changed all of those and renamed the icons—removing _ so they were only letters. I tied the filename and the path with and without the .gif extension. The results were no different.

I wondered if it was the size. My images were small, but not as small as the default images. I copied an image from another place and put it in the folder with the topic images—this way I was not altering anything and the size was small. I tried to add this icon and the result was the same—failure.

Also, is there a setting where I can make the topic icon selection a required field for the initial post? I couldn't find one and did a search also, so I've submitted a mod request...but I'm new and may have missed something.

Thank You,
Penelope

kat

Hi, Pen!

Why not just overwrite the existing icons with your own, using FTP?

Pene

Isn't that almost what I'm doing?

I'm not overwriting, but my icons are now in the folder next to the pre-existing icons. Theoretically shouldn't it work then...and I can turn of the other icons.

I can overwrite--is that the same as erase--them, but I don't know why that would change things.

I uploaded everything using FTP.

kat

Yeah, that's what I did.

Just find out the filename and overwrite the existing ones with the new ones.

You HAVE refreshed, or emptied your browser's cache?

Pene

I tried it...how did that work?

So for some reason it will not accept new names. Maybe he names are listed somewhere in an index and to add new names you must add them to an index file.

No big deal with that since I am reducing the number of icons rather than adding more.

Thanks.

kat

No sweat, darlin'.

Sometimes, the "proper" way of doing things isn't, always, the easiest. ;)

Advertisement: