News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Clearing File Cache

Started by Kimmie, April 18, 2010, 10:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimmie

ok this is going to probably sound silly to some of you "old timers"  lol, but I have spent the last 2 hours going through thread after thread and cannot seem to find the answer to my question.

The setting under Forum Maintenance....Empty the file cache: Why would one need to do this and is it something that should be done regularly (ie once a week, etc)? I'm not that familiar with how it works since it was not associated with 1.x and did not have to mess with it.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject... :D

aED

You don't need to clear the cache regularly. The only time i clear my file cache is when I made some changes on my themes or sources files.

Kays

If you make any manual changes to any of the language files. You will need to clear the file cache to get the changes to show. Other than that, the files in there are refreshed automatically on a regular basis so there's no need for you to do it.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Kimmie

very good to know. Thanks for the feedback. :)

What about if say, the host your using, moves you to a new server, or you move to another server (ie a VPS, etc). Would that have any affect on the cache?

I know you said only if the language files are modified but moving to a new server is not a common thing so I wasnt sure if that was a special circumstance or not.

Also, if I upgrade to RC3  (currently at RC1.2) ?

Kays

Moving to a different server shouldn't have an effect on the cache. If you do notice missing language strings, you can delete the contents of the cache folder (except for the .htaccess and index.php files) and it will rebuild. The same goes for updating.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Arantor

Actually, moving to a different server can necessitate a clearing of cache (unless you use repair_settings) since $modSettings is cached, and both the original and cache contain some paths which will need to be refreshed.

If in doubt, clear it.

Kimmie

Quote from: Arantor on April 23, 2010, 12:23:31 PM
Actually, moving to a different server can necessitate a clearing of cache (unless you use repair_settings) since $modSettings is cached, and both the original and cache contain some paths which will need to be refreshed.

If in doubt, clear it.

well we have been moved around quite abit this year due to them having server issues, and the latest move was to see if moving my site to another one of their servers would result in less downtime  so I wasnt for sure. I am at my wits end end with "shared hosting services" because you never get what you pay for because they always oversell their space so I am contemplating moving to a VPS and is why I asked about that. I may try and clear it out just to see if it will help any of the issues we have in general since clearing it out wont actually hurt anything.

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Advertisement: