News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Congrats!

Started by Gear., June 04, 2005, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gear.

I have to say congrats to this site, not just do you guys have the coolest looking forum, you also have very nice members and staff like Dan the man. Also I am no longer going to be going to invision for my site needs, but to you. I am sure you will get to know me well as I will be active here a lot! lol. I also dont know how to get the spell check on my forum... thats been buggen me. Thats all I have to say.

-xxSMUDGExx

dtm.exe

Well, wow!  Thanks :).   Again, welcome to SMF :).

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

Spell check can be elusive.  For more details, search for "aspell".

-[Unknown]

Gear.

Loll aspell doesn't show up. O well it still is handy sometimes.

1MileCrash

yeah. SMF rocks. I wish smf was a little bit worst though. Makes me feel stupid getting vbulletin. $160 down the drain.>:( Ive used phpBB also. It doesnt seem as high of quality as smf.

SMF = free vbulletin with more features and less complication
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

dtm.exe

Quote from: Tippmaster on June 06, 2005, 10:54:55 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself :).

-Dan The Man

Amacythe

I don't think we can advertise that :P

dtm.exe

Quote from: Amacythe on June 06, 2005, 11:25:46 PM

I don't think we can advertise that :P

HAHA :P.  Well then edit it to say something like...

Quote[cough]SMF = free vbulletin with more features and less complication[/cough]

;)

-Dan The Man

Gear.

[cough]SMF = free vbulletin with more features and less complication[/cough]

lol

IamV

I've got experience now with just about every board out there - paid or free.  Of all of them SMF is the BEST.  Since I found SMF about 3 months ago - I've been gradually moving all forums over to SMF.

I love it!!!  Thanks!

dtm.exe

Quote from: IamV on June 06, 2005, 11:57:10 PM
I've got experience now with just about every board out there - paid or free.  Of all of them SMF is the BEST.  Since I found SMF about 3 months ago - I've been gradually moving all forums over to SMF.

I love it!!!  Thanks!

Well good for you!  Glad to hear it :).

-Dan The Man

1MileCrash

No, but seriously. The guys who made smf, it seems like they thought of everything. The first time i edited a template, i screwed up. Without knowing. I was SHOCKED to see "or you can use the default theme. That right there saved my forum. SMF is so much more...um...."forgiving" than phpBB. With phpBB, if i messed up the template with like, 1 code, i would get:

PHPBB CRITCAL ERROR! DATABASE MELTDOWN! CRITCAL MELTDOWN!
SELF DESTRUCT IN 3.....................2.......................1..........

And not to mention, installing themes on smf is cake. You just download, the upload. phpBB, it's download, upload to server, place in theme directory, extract all files, go to admin panel, add theme to selection....too much.

And the mod easy installer thingy.....omg. Best idear ever.

I <3 SMF.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

dtm.exe

Quote from: Tippmaster on June 07, 2005, 12:57:15 AM
No, but seriously. The guys who made smf, it seems like they thought of everything. The first time i edited a template, i screwed up. Without knowing. I was SHOCKED to see "or you can use the default theme. That right there saved my forum. SMF is so much more...um...."forgiving" than phpBB. With phpBB, if i messed up the template with like, 1 code, i would get:

PHPBB CRITCAL ERROR! DATABASE MELTDOWN! CRITCAL MELTDOWN!
SELF DESTRUCT IN 3.....................2.......................1..........

And not to mention, installing themes on smf is cake. You just download, the upload. phpBB, it's download, upload to server, place in theme directory, extract all files, go to admin panel, add theme to selection....too much.

And the mod easy installer thingy.....omg. Best idear ever.

I <3 SMF.

Just three more fields where SMF just can't be beat ;).

-Dan The Man

IamV

IMO one of the best features of SMF is the ease of adding new/extra smilies.  You don't have to upload them, get url, insert url into code, insert smile code into xxx location, in some cases - do up a long list of censored words to go with the smilie code.... bla, bla, bla

nope - with SMF - you upload, enter your trigger/code, select how it's to be displayed all in one step.  A person with NO experience could do it in their sleep!

[Unknown]

(actually, many people have commented that they wish the smiley interface were different/easier to use.)

-[Unknown]

Gary

If I was told to chose a forum software for myself or even someone else it would be SMF without a doubt, phpBB, though I havent used it as an admin, it sucks as a member, plus it is easily comprimised.

MyBB is just too complex to theme. And IPB is the same, VB from what I've seen from the demo looks too complex for my tastes.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Gear.

I couldnt say it better myself.

IamV

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 07, 2005, 01:55:34 AM
(actually, many people have commented that they wish the smiley interface were different/easier to use.)

-[Unknown]

:o  No way!!  Send them to me - I'll send them on a smilie install that will set them running back here kissing SMF Smilie Butt  :P

Gary

The smilie interface is greatly improved in 1.1, makes it easier. Hell ass easier. So the SMF gang took care of it. ;)
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

forsakenlad

Simple, Elegant yet Powerful, what more can be said?  :)
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Advertisement: