How Does One Copy a Post/Thread?

Started by Isthmus, April 23, 2010, 11:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isthmus

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out how to copy a post as a   new thread or how to copy an entire thread.  The closest way I can find   to doing this is splitting a topic.  however, that feature does not   seem to be available if a thread only has one post, and unless I'm   mistaken (and please tell me if I am), splitting a topic, pulls that   post out of the existing thread an onto a new one (it doesn't copy it).

Is   there something Obvious I'm missing (please be gentle)?

adbrad

do you mean you want to move it from one board to another

Arantor

There is no way to copy a thread in SMF, though I believe there is a mod for it.

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Isthmus

Thanks for the info guys.  How about the ability to copy a single POST, as opposed to an entire thread?  Is that possible?

I'm guessing a I can copy a thread using the mod, and then delete all the posts in the copy that I don't want, but I was wondering if there was something more direct.

Thanks again.

Arantor

There's not even a mod for it at the moment but the amount of work is similar.

Isthmus

Interesting.  I would have thought such would have been a desirable and integral feature of SMF.  Maybe it's a worthwhile suggestion for future development.  Thanks for the tip guys, I'll use the copy thread function for now and just pair down the copied thread.

Arantor

It's not actually that often requested.

Your other option is to split the post off on its own, clone that new "topic", then merge it back.

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Glasso

Quote from: Arantor on May 04, 2010, 12:13:21 PM
It's not actually that often requested.

Your other option is to split the post off on its own, clone that new "topic", then merge it back.

Sorry to bump an old topic.

How do we "clone" a topic in 2.0RC4?
Copy paste of the post content would not have it with the original author, right?

Arantor

Using the copy topics mod as mentioned above...

Glasso

Quote from: Arantor on January 22, 2011, 03:03:59 PM
Using the copy topics mod as mentioned above...

Got it. That one doesn't seem available for RC4 yet though.

Arantor

*shrug* The answer was right when it was originally written most of a year ago...

Advertisement: